What does, "Please acknowledge new network by providing a context." mean

When I look at my pc version of Fing, Notifications tab, the message, "Please acknowledge new network by providing a context." appears.  What does this mean and how do I acknowledge a new network by providing a context?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,660
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Gary_WS , I've moved this to the desktop inquiries area for you...
    What is being asked is whether the network your looking at is a home, business, open etc...  I guess it's a way to tag what type of network you're looking at.  I'm not sure if by tagging the Fing app is doing anything different however.  @Robin or @Ciaran can you answer as to whether the behavior of the desktop app changes based on the context or if its just a tag?

Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,742
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #3 Accepted Answer
    Hi @Marc & @Gary_WS
    Thanks for your post. Based on the Context you set up on Fing Desktop, it will run different checks on your network. Also, it will adjust the network size best suitable for your selected context.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Marc

Answers

• Gary_WS
    Gary_WS Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Thank you.
  • dtubbs
    dtubbs Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    "Based on the Context you set up on Fing Desktop, it will run different checks on your network"
    Is there a comparison of what the different checks and network size means?  My network is my home network, but it is larger and more complex than many small businesses (i.e. VLANs, active directory, virtual servers, a NAS etc.).  Should I choose Home because I am the owner, or business because there are many "business" type services running on my network?
  • nusense
    nusense Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    @Robin I'm still curious about the answer to this question.  Also, is there a means for changing it after the first query/choice?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    nusense said:
    @Robin I'm still curious about the answer to this question.  Also, is there a means for changing it after the first query/choice?
    Can you please repeat the question you are referring to? Is it the comment above yours or the initial post?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • nusense
    nusense Member Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    @Robin Sorry, I' meant the question in the last post before mine -- what checks are different.  But primarily:

Also, is there a means for changing it after the first query/choice?

Given that I answered "wrong" in that it continues to warn about my net mask being "too big" for a "home" network.  I've muted that warning, but I'd really just like to re-answer or re-set the setting.  But if I chose "office" are there any other checks that would differ beyond that one?

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @nusense
    There are different protocols that are scanned by Fing desktop based on the correct network context you select. Like SMTP for mails. For home network the network mask should be /24 as /16 is for office environment where large of devices are connected.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)