Why has Fing Desktop identified my router as a TV?

MarkGMarkG Member Posts: 3
First Comment
edited March 2 in Fing Desktop
I've just installed the Fing Desktop App, and it tells me that my network gateway is a Sony TV. That seems unlikely. I checked on the Fing iOS app and it says the same thing so I guess that the MAC lookup has gone wrong. I do own a Sony TV but I'm pretty sure that's a red herring. My router is a Unifi USG 3P with the name GHGR01 as shown below.
Tagged:

Answers

• RWildRWild Member Posts: 39
    10 Comments First Answer Name Dropper 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    In the example you posted, what makes you think the app is telling you that your TV is a network gateway?  The icon displayed looks like a TV to me.  It may help you see what is what if you turn on the "technical" display (click on the wrench at the extreme upper right - it is cut off in what you posted.  You will get a lot more information such as IP and MAC addresses and any details you have entered about your devices.
    Ciaran
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 781
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @MarkG, in general:

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognised correctly e.g.

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox.

- Limited information being offered by specific devices.

When you establish what the device is, we would encourage users to insert as many details that you can about the device. 

However, as @RWild, suggests, it does look like the TV has been identified as a TV?

Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • MarkGMarkG Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Yes and No. I've been a user of Fing since before the Fingbox came along, and my Unifi USG was correctly identified for years until recently it became a TV. It is the change from being correct to being wrong that has me confused.
  • MarkGMarkG Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Here's what I see when I look at the detail:

The MAC is identified as coming from Ubiquiti, the IP is the one used by my Unifi USG which is my gateway/router, GHGR01 is the name that I gave to this device. And then Fing steps in and decides that the device isn't from Ubiquiti and instead identifies it as a Sony Bravia TV. That's wrong. 
  • Ox_BakerOx_Baker Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    I have a similar issue where Fing is identifying my Electrolux Fridge as a Sony TV.  See the image below:
    I have checked the MAC 70:C9:4E and confirmed this is assigned to Liteon Technology, so can only assume there is an error in the Fing database.  Same shows on Fing desktop and Android.  I do not have a Sony TV with the model no.  Is there someway to send the correct information to Fing for correction?