How often does fingbox poll devices for detection?

Nexx
Nexx Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
✭✭✭
I'm doing some testing using the detection (arrival/leave) feature. I noticed it takes a awfully long time to simulate a leave and arrive for my cellphone. Is there any way to speed up how often fingbox checks for devices? 

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,804
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2020 #2
    Hi @Nexx , if it appears to be slow for you, can you check the following setting to make sure its set to aggressive?  Click on devices tab, then click on your avatar on the top right.  Then click on the icon called setting of "your network" where your network is whatever you named it.  Scroll towards the bottom and you will see a setting for slower network discovery.  Make sure it is NOT highlighted.  Let is know what you find...

EDIT:  One other thing to check...  On the device you have associated to the person leaving and returning, look for a setting called state change timeout and make sure its set to a quicker interval.  By default it could be 20 minutes or more.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Nexx

The reason you may be experiencing this issue in relation to alerts for specific devices, is that you might have changed the state change alert from default value to a different value. The usual default value is 20 minutes. Sometimes, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 or 2 minutes, it can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as 'Online' and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked 'Online' and only after that time period it will be recorded as 'Offline', thus providing you with an alert. 

In order to change the alert settings, please click on the device from the device list and then scroll down to 'State Change Timeout(auto)' . You can then set the value to at least 1 minute. This will resolve your issue.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Nexx
    Nexx Member, Beta Tester Posts: 14
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Anniversary 5 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Marc.
    The "Slower network discovery" was already NOT highlighted. 
    I found the state change timeout in the App and lowered it to 5 mins. Will test and reply back. 
    MarcRobin_from_Fing