Various issues - no connectivity

Fing Desktop 1.0.0 running on Windows 10 64 bit. Laptop. Connected by WiFi only.

1. "Connectivity" claims that I am "Not connected" and my internet provider shows "No Internet". This is after having already connected to the Fing cloud service. All other apps on the systems are obviously connected and working.
    As an experiment, I plugged in a known working additional USB WiFi adapter. App shutdown and restart still showed it claiming to not be connected.
  2. Notifications shows a warning regarding "Ethernet link speed is not optimal", "Speed is less than Gigabit: 100.0 Mbps". This is a WiFi connection (I am not connected by hard wired Ethernet on this system). Who has Gigabit WiFi?! Regradless, the app claims I am not connected as mentioned above.
  3. The app persists in running when closing the window ('X' at top right), showing the slide-in notification "Why didn't Fing quit" and pointing me to the Preferences settings to address this. No setting there seems to make any difference to this behavior.
  4. I notice that the "Fing.Agent" system service registers the service at an "ImagePath" where that path contains a space character (specifically C:\Program Files\Fing\resources\extraResources\fingagent.exe).
    This is dangerous. The path should be quoted to counter service hijacking e.g. placing a hostile EXE in "C:\Program".
    See https://medium.com/@SumitVerma101/windows-privilege-escalation-part-1-unquoted-service-path-c7a011a8d8ae for a discussion.

charmlander

Comments

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @LazyPig
    We have a new version of Fing Desktop 1.0.1. Can you upgrade to that version and check?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • LazyPig
    LazyPig Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I just installed and ran 1.0.1. Unfortunately the issue persists. "Not connected" and "No Internet" shown. Plus the "Ethernet link speed is not optimal" warning is still there.

I suspect the application is getting confused with some virtual network adapters, specifically ZeroTier One and VMWare Workstation. I tried temporarily disabling the former application but the problem still remains. I may not have totally stopped it entirely but I'd rather not uninstall it just to see if Fing then works at this point. The interface that the warning stems from for internet speed is indeed the ZeroTier One one, which suggests that the Fing application is latching on to that interface rather than the active connection (my physical WIFi adapter).

Perhaps solving these kinds of issues could be achieved by providing a list of interfaces to choose from?

And still no ability to have Fing actually exit upon closing the window. That's a minor point though.

As a programmer who has in the past written low level network applications utilizing Winpcap, far from me to tell you how to write code (the app looks impressive, if only it'd work!) perhaps a suggestion? From a known "connected" socket, obtain the source IP address, then search through the list of enumerated interfaces from Winpcap and match to that same address.

If you don't have a connected socket, you can create a new UDP socket targeting remote address e.g. 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 (any external address will do) for port 53, "connect" the socket (which, for UDP does not actually emit anything over the network) using connect, pull the local source IP from the socket (using getsockname) and use that IP to find the appropriate interface in the Winpcap list. This is just a higher level way of getting the system to calculate a route to the target and it providing the source address as a by-product. You can always use the lower level APIs for getting routing information for a particular IP directly, but this method seems to be easier and more reliable.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @LazyPig
    Can you please update to latest version 1.1.0 and then check if you are getting same issues? 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • LazyPig
    LazyPig Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    Still no go with 1.1.0. "Not connected", "No Internet". Notifications still refer to my ZeroTier One virtual interface.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @LazyPig
    Can you share the screenshot of the error so I can investigate better along with your network set up? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • charmlander
    charmlander Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic First Comment
    I have the same issue.
    My ISP is hijacking cloudflare, Google and Open DNS servers and route my DNS requests to its own.
    I also can't use OpenDNS's updater software because of this issue.
    I don't know if FING can point out any solution to this problem but this "no internet connection" warning error is mainly based on ISP's so called malicious DNS Hijacking.