Day trip ideas from London, UK

VioletChepil
VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone on here living in the UK or London even?
It's a bank holiday weekend and the weather is going to be so warm! 
Hooray! This very rarely happens. 
I'm looking for any suggestions for day trip ideas from London! 
Anywhere I can go for the day?
Let me know if you've got any ideas.

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Dougie
    Dougie Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Photogenic 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited August 23, 2019 #2 Accepted Answer
    Take the train from London to Milton Keynes Central (will need an Uber or taxi from there) or to Bletchly Station (don't know what the direct services are like). Go to Bletchley Park https://bletchleypark.org.uk/visit-us and the National Museum of Computing.

Answers

• VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @Dougie :):) 

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Aww... I wanna go too!
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @kltaylor hahaha I'm sure where you are living is much more pleasant than London ^^ 

• Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shameless plug for me mum here: one of her code books is located in the museum as she found out a couple of years ago. Way back in the 1950's she used to work for a company known as Elliott Computers - and programmed the Elliott 803. 

My sister took her to the museum to see the ole workhorse and she got to speak to one of the curators who, upon finding out her history, brought out some handwritten books that were only adorned with initials of the programmers - including hers. As a result she was able to fill in the blanks and allowed the museum to finally know who wrote all those programmes (English spelling here as we're talking British 'pooters).

One day, when I'm back over in Blightly I'm gonna head over there and see this puppy for myself...

Yeah, proud of me mum for that :)

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    HronosJoeVioletChepilGidsterJd45390
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kltaylor hahaha I'm sure where you are living is much more pleasant than London ^^ 
    I enjoyed my stint in ole London-town. Lived in Watford and caught the express to Euston then enjoyed a good walk to Chancery Lane each day.
    Granted I could have done the tube, but, whilst the Northern Line was bearable, the Central line was quite awful at the best of times. Far better to get some good pre\post walk in daily, and walking through some of the Inn's of London was quite delightful...
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The red rocks of Utah for sure are quite beautiful, but I still wish to take a European vacation before I croak =)

VioletChepilJd45390Tror511
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    Shameless plug for me mum here: one of her code books is located in the museum as she found out a couple of years ago. Way back in the 1950's she used to work for a company known as Elliott Computers - and programmed the Elliott 803. 

My sister took her to the museum to see the ole workhorse and she got to speak to one of the curators who, upon finding out her history, brought out some handwritten books that were only adorned with initials of the programmers - including hers. As a result she was able to fill in the blanks and allowed the museum to finally know who wrote all those programmes (English spelling here as we're talking British 'pooters).

One day, when I'm back over in Blightly I'm gonna head over there and see this puppy for myself...

Yeah, proud of me mum for that :)

The first time that I read through that, I was going to tease you about calling your mum a workhorse ... but I digress. =)
    That really is the coolest, honestly.  As I become older I find more enjoyment in things like museums and such.  Knowing that your mom had a hand in the evolution of the very thing that many of us rely on as a career choice, is impeccable.
    I'm proud of your mum too! =)
    PoohGabolinoVioletChepilJd45390
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well in the end, I ended up going to Whitstable! And since it was 33 degrees celsius took my first dip in the ocean here in the UK. 
    Nice little place for a day trip including fish and chips. 
    I did get stuck in 2.5 hours of traffic on the way there.  :s but the drive back was OK!
    Next time I'm leaving around 8AM instead of 10AM. 

• Dougie
    Take the train from London to Milton Keynes Central (will need an Uber or taxi from there) or to Bletchly Station (don't know what the services are like to Bletchly direct). Go to Bletchley Park https://bletchleypark.org.uk/visit-us and the National Museum of Computing.
    VioletChepil
  • Dougie
    Take the train from London to Milton Keynes Central (will need an Uber or taxi from there) or to Bletchly Station (don't know what the services are like to Bletchly direct). Go to Bletchley Park https://bletchleypark.org.uk/visit-us and the National Museum of Computing.
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did get stuck in 2.5 hours of traffic on the way there.  :s but the drive back was OK!

A couple of years ago we headed out to Cross Plains, Tennessee to watch the Total Eclipse of the sun. Normally that should be around a 3.5 hour journey, it took 7 hours to get down and 9 to get back! All for a totally and utterly amazing 45 minute event.

And yes, I'd do it again in a heartbeat (apart from assuming the interstates where going to be OK, that is!) 
    VioletChepilJd45390
  • VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pooh that is a lot of traffic !! 
    Same thing for me, I'd go back again even knowing I was heading into that much traffic.