Enormous amounts of data being transferred

antamyantamy Member Posts: 7
Photogenic First Comment
My fingbox. which I hadn't had connected for some time, is transferring 1-1.5 GB of data a day to somewhere.  What is going on?  I have turned off the Internet speed monitoring.  What else is it doing that consumes this much data?

Best Answer

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 812
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Are you certain it's after you turned off speed monitoring?

Answers

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @antamy
    For uploading of data, automated Internet Speed tests are set as a default for all Fingbox users. This is the reason, Fingbox is able to send the Internet performance report every month. The scheduled test takes about 30 seconds. It figures out your internet speed by measuring how much data can move through your connection in that time, in download and in the upload. The test uses different amounts of data depending on how fast your connection is and where you do the test. For example, a typical test in the U.S. can use up to 20 MB- 20Gb of data. If you turn off the scheduled Internet performance, it will stop the traffic but you will not be able to obtain the Internet performance report every month. 
    Please check if automated scheduled tests are disabled or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • antamyantamy Member Posts: 7
    Photogenic First Comment
    Per my post, I have it turned off.  Even turned on, it is insane that you would transfer 20GB of data to do a speed test.  And it seems to be doing it every day.  I reset the traffic counters on my router yesterday and, with internet performance turned off,  this device has transferred 460MB.  It is the top traffic device on my network.  
    Photogenic First Comment
    I clicked the wrong button on rooted's response above.  I turned off the performance monitoring and reset my routers counters, and still the device is transferring large amounts of data.
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 812
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

That's beyond my pay grade so to speak, @Robin will have to troubleshoot the issue.

But if I had to guess, for some reason Fingbox is still performing the tests.

Your router has a data counter for each IP and it is definitely Fingbox correct?

Photogenic First Comment
    rooted said:

That's beyond my pay grade so to speak, @Robin will have to troubleshoot the issue.

Your router has a data counter for each IP and it is definitely Fingbox correct?

Yes, it's for each IP and it's Fingbox.  400MB transferred in the past 3 hours.  It's crazy.
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 3,785
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    antamy said:
    rooted said:

Yes, it's for each IP and it's Fingbox.  400MB transferred in the past 3 hours.  It's crazy.
    Can you make sure you have disabled the Automatic Speed tests and reverse DNS lookups and enabled the Slow network discovery from the Fing App settings? If not, please perform these things and then check if there is anything changed or not.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!