How do I get Ethernet to work, and deal with warning ntification

I have just installed Fing Desktop. I see it has only recently been released and expect there will be teething troubles. After the first scans I have a warning notice and a popup asking me to 'provide a context'. What does this mean / how do I do it? I could not get a report to display but found logs in File Explorer which say "connection aborted" --- my PC is in fact connected (otherwise I would not be here) . But the connection is via WiFi not the Ethernet cable, which is my normal default connection mode. I have tried Windows 10 Settings etc. where I often find a way to restore Ethernet but not this time. I am going to look for Troubleshooters, and more thorough power / hub on and off.  How else can I restore the Ethernet connectivity?

Answers

• Alan7777
    Alan7777 Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    If I understand you correctly, you want to restore Ethernet via a cable rather than via WIFI. You should be able to do that by connecting to the desktop with a LAN cable, then reboot. You may then want to go into network settings on control panel and disable the WIFI connection to avoid confusing Fing with multiple network connections. Another reboot may or may not be required.
  • clayto
    clayto Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    Thanks, I had been using Ethernet for some years but it suddenly stopped. After lots of trial and error I remembered I had another unused Ethernet to USB adapter. As it is now working I guess the other adapter must have developed a fault, after 4 years use. What is not working now is Fing Desktop (it is OK on Android). I will check to see if it might be not having turned wireless off as yo mention. I have always had them both available, as I found when one goes down the other takes over almost instantly which has been useful at times, though not essential.  
  • Alan7777
    Alan7777 Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I have a USB 2.0 to Ethernet adapter. Very slow. About 1.4Mbps. Works OK for the one thing I need it for, Ubiquiti antenna configs.
    Have you tried removing the first adapter SW and reinstalling? They do break and onboard ones are very difficult to troubleshoot, and they do die. If it actually is a desktop, you can probably add a cheap NIC. I see one on ebay for $3.99.
  • clayto
    clayto Member Posts: 25
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ethernet connection is now connected OK. Fing Desktop however, is not working well. It is difficult to get it to launch and when it finally does there is usually no response to clicking Connections or Notifications; or if there is I usually just get a couple of dots dancing around each other. I have sometimes had a Notification saying that there are warnings, but I have not been able to view them. Briefly I did see a fleeting notice saying that the Ethernet is slower than it should be, at (I think) 100 bits (?). What figure should it be? The adaptor is unused but a few years old and USB2 so perhaps a newer replacement would give better performance? I will try re-installing Fing tomorrow.