Ethernet link speed is not optimal..Why would this be?

Gerrymac
Gerrymac Member Posts: 1
Photogenic
Just joined up and got this warning regarding my Connection...I,m using a Cat5e cable with speeds of 61.0/19.3.So all seems to be well only for this warning.
JFT 96

Answers

• SeabeeChief
    SeabeeChief USAMember Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    I have the same warning. What I have been able to determine so far is this. My PC has a Gigabit Ethernet connection, the Gateway box from my ISP is only rated 10/100 Megabits. Therefore error message is correct, my NIC is faster than what I am connected to. I am sure if I purchased a Gigabit ethernet router that the error message would go away. I would not worry about it unless you are connected to a fiber circuit operating at 1Gps otherwise it really does not affect performance.

“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    #GoCoogs
    Comptia A+, Network+, Security+. SCW/FMF
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi Everyone,
    We are compiling the feedback for warning dismissal. I will include your feedback for our developers as well. As soon as there is an update for this, we will let all the users know. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • SheppySA
    SheppySA Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    I am getting this warning too. As far as I can tell all of my ethernet cables/switches are 1Gb - the question is, how do I find the possible weak link? Can I ping various devices on the network or something? Thanks!
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,052
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    SheppySA said:
    I am getting this warning too. As far as I can tell all of my ethernet cables/switches are 1Gb - the question is, how do I find the possible weak link? Can I ping various devices on the network or something? Thanks!
    It may be due to the port on which the device is connected or the ethernet cable is damaged. You can try to change the port and cable as well to isolate the issue. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!