Fing Has Developed Two IP Addresses

Edgar_1Edgar_1 Member Posts: 4
First Comment
Hello. Over the past few months I have been the victim of several hacking attempts upon my LAN. It appears as if the Fingbox has successfully stopped the installation of a rogue satellite router on several occasions. However, my Fing now suddenly shows up with two separate IP addresses. After reading some other disassociated posts here, I am coming to believe that this may be because I have installed a VPN on my network, but I am unsure. I wanted to make a post here and get some feedback in case there could be some other potentially harmful reason on why this has happened especially since my network has been under siege. Thanks for your help.

Best Answer

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Edgar_1 said:

Yes. I have blocked a couple of devices but neither one of them carries the IP address. An interesting side note: Upon contacting Eero support, the tech confirmed that I had been hacked. I had to change my network, passwords on my accounts, etc. When I plugged the Fing with the dual IP’s into the system, my internet speed was reduced to almost nonexistent. When I took it offline, speeds were back to normal.

Okay, back to my original question, how do I get rid of the bogus IP and get my Fing back into working condition?

You need to deactivate the Fingbox and then you need to reset the Fingbox by pressing the reset button for 30 sec and then add the Fingbox again to your network. Also, please try to assign a static IP address to your Fingbox. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Edgar_1

Answers

• PineappleOnPizzaPineappleOnPizza Member Posts: 5
    Name Dropper First Answer Photogenic First Comment
    You could do an IP reverse lookup to on the IP's for more information. If the ip's are within these ranges
    10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
    172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
    192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255
    Then they might be local IP's which would indicate something is connected to your local network. It's hard to say if Fing is somehow detecting the starting IP of your tunnel or not but yeah.. more information would be needed.

• Edgar_1Edgar_1 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

Thank you for your response. I have been able to determine that one of the IP’s is bogus. What steps do I take now? How do I eliminate the leech IP from my Fing?

admin
    Hi @Edgar_1
    Can you share the screenshot of your Fing app displaying two IP addresses so I can guide you? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment

Sorry that I have been delayed in leaving this for you:

admin
    Hi @Edgar_1
    Have you blocked or paused any device using Fingbox? It may be IP addresses used by Fingbox for each frequency monitoring or the IP address of the blocked device. Can you check under router settings if the IP addresses matches Fingbox? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    First Comment

Yes. I have blocked a couple of devices but neither one of them carries the IP address. An interesting side note: Upon contacting Eero support, the tech confirmed that I had been hacked. I had to change my network, passwords on my accounts, etc. When I plugged the Fing with the dual IP’s into the system, my internet speed was reduced to almost nonexistent. When I took it offline, speeds were back to normal.

Okay, back to my original question, how do I get rid of the bogus IP and get my Fing back into working condition?

• allenallen Member Posts: 2
    Photogenic First Comment
    My Fingbox shows two IP addresses on my LAN, but both have the same MAC address. And the desktop app seems to know about this sort of thing. I'd like to know why the Fingbox has dual IP's . . .  (Everything seems to be working normally.)