Fingbox micro usb to pcb fault

krazy4krazy4 Member Posts: 5
First Comment Photogenic
edited February 2020 in Fingbox

Hi all,

had fingbox a long time and until recently fingbox has run without a fault, then it kept dropping out of the network apparently randomly losing power. I tried a recovery ‘that hard I broke the very flimsy button’.

the fault was quickly discovered after opening the unit as the micro usb was only surface mounted and had come away from the pcb, unlike the adjacent usb & Ethernet which are soldered with pins through the board and secure.

I will probably have a go at soldering the micro usb back on myself and see if I can find a suitable alternative for the recovery button if needed.

If I am unable to repair it, Has this problem of only surface mounting the micro usb been rectified on more current versions otherwise I don’t think I will buy a replacement

Tagged:

Comments

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 1,092
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @krazy4 I am sorry to hear about your Fingbox. I have sent you a private mail as I will need to get more information of of you to investigate further (MAC address, e-mail etc.)
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • HoratioHoratio Member Posts: 9
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    @krazy4: Have you been able to repair the recovery button?
    I have had the same misfortune and I am now wondering what to do. I do not expect to be able to fully fix the button, but am contemplating soldering wires to the (three?) contacts, then adding a larger switch/button for connecting/disconnecting.
  • krazy4krazy4 Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic

That’s what I was hoping to do. i’ve bought a soldering station which can do reflow soldering but my skills are limited on soldering, the nearest I could find to surface mounted are these, but I think an external reset switch would be a better option. will eventually sort it but my time is also currently limited.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362591369843

edited May 2020
    I managed to repair, or rather replace, the broken reset switch, by soldering two wires to the contacts (see photo). This worked, i.e. I am able to do a full reset according to the Fing instructions.
    I am afraid, though, this may not be a viable option for a broken micro USB port.
    krazy4
    First Comment Photogenic

Looking good, what did you use as a reset switch ?

Since I don’t do a reset on a regular basis, I simply widened the existing hole in the casing using a drill, then led the cables through the hole and isolated the separated bare ends with electrical tape. In case of need of a reset, I will remove the tape and short circuit the cables manually. I know, not very professional, but functional. By the way: similarly professional as “pressing” the reset switch using a needle or paper clip, not?
    krazy4
    First Comment Photogenic

Sounds good, so if I can get the usb power soldered 1st then this would also be a good fix, I wish the manufacturer had put a switch on the case to start with but I suppose cost was a factor and surface mounted was the cheap option.

and yes the pin or paper clip was a bit of a problem not very consumer friendly or professional.

still not had time since one of my email accounts was hacked, I’m resetting nearly 200 passwords and enabling 2FA on as many as possible.

First Comment Photogenic
    edited August 2020

fingbox usb resoldered and it’s back online !

Frustrating and fiddly little job but managed it on third attempt.

Used just 2 x wires soldered in place of recovery button ‘thanks to Horatio for that idea’ which was also broken so removed that, will fit switch if/when I find a suitable one.

Ciaran