NEW VERSION OF FING DESKTOP - 1.0.0

2»

Comments

• notozmannotozman Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    TomH said:
    Hi folks,

Quick couple of thoughts about this new desktop app.
    1) I have an advisory that my machine is not connected via a gigabit ethernet connection. Great, I know, and I'm glad the app has flagged that, but as (on this network (I'm in a serviced office on a vLAN)) I'm not in a position to do anything about that (and I may not want to, anyway) it would be good if I could dismiss this notification/warning.
    2) It would be cool if I could see my 'other networks' - in particular my Fingbox monitored network at home within the app.
    Other than that, this looks like it's going to be an invaluable tool and makes me want to get another Fingbox for the office even more! Thanks guys!

All the best,
    -Tom
    Ditto for me on the VLAN/VPN topic - FingBox knows that the internet connection is good, and the local network is good - but since I am running VPN on the PC, Fing desktop thinks that the gateway is down since it cant find the DNS server that it checks against. So the "problems detected notification" messages are constantly popping up .. 
    In any case it huge improvement over the command line tool, with some added features as well - so great job !
  • fpmackofpmacko Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Suggestion:  It would be helpful to state the actual version number in the email announcement of the release.  I received Arianna's email today (28 February) and all it said was "We are happy to announce the Fing Desktop release....".  But no mention of the version.  I'm running 0.6.4 and I had no idea if this was something new or just what I was already running.  Yes, I finally figured it out here in the forum but it should have been noted in the email announcement.

And thank you for the new release!
  • fpmackofpmacko Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    Me again....  Sooohhhh, am I supposed to uninstall my 0.6.4 installation prior to installing the new version?  The green progress bar stops halfway through the process, which then blows off without tossing any sort of error.
  • madfusgermadfusger Member Posts: 2
    First Comment Photogenic
    madfusger said:

Hello,

I just bought a fingbox about a month ago and just learned there is a fing app. Does this app take the place of a fing box, and I just purchased a device I don't need?

And if not, why couldn't a desktop app do everything a fingbox does?

Thanks

Maybe in simpler terms; is there anyone at all from Fing that knows the actual strategy here?

• OKCOKC Member, Beta Tester Posts: 56
    10 Comments 5 Agrees First Answer 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    madfusger said:
    madfusger said:

Hello,

I just bought a fingbox about a month ago and just learned there is a fing app. Does this app take the place of a fing box, and I just purchased a device I don't need?

And if not, why couldn't a desktop app do everything a fingbox does?

Thanks

Maybe in simpler terms; is there anyone at all from Fing that knows the actual strategy here?

No, the Desktop or Mobile app doesnt not replace the fingbox. The mobile app is only a fraction until it is combined with the FingBox. The FingBox is what makes it all work. It stays behind when you are gone and does what it is supposed to do.
    madfusger
  • Concerned_UserConcerned_User Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    If you guys are going to run a beta test, you need to have an address for us to send the crash reports and logs.
    Where can we find that?
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 1,147
    1000 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Concerned_User
    The Fing Desktop is out of the beta test and it is publically released for all users. If you face any concerns you can post your discussions or ideas on to Fing Desktop category.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Carlo_from_Fing
  • Concerned_UserConcerned_User Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I don't feel comfortable posting my screenshots and logs to the forum.  I don't need any help.  I just want to give you feedback on errors.
  • CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 685
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
    admin
    @Concerned_User, thats fair, you can certainly send a Direct message to @robin and/or @Ciaran (using the envelope icon in the top right hand corner) and we will be more than happy to help. Thanks & have a nice weekend.
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!