IP's showing on fing but not on my modem. Could they be fixed IP's from a hidden camera?

kedokedo Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Help.  I believe my husband is spying on me.  He moved out over a year ago, but seems to know way too much.  He'll often say things to me that I previously said a day or two before.  Even things such as 'wwote' - an abbreviation I used only once with my friend.  While talking on the phone with him trying to work out divorce details I threw up my hands and rolled my eyes in complete silence, and he quickly stated, "But wait, wait, let me tell you why'. Was he seeing me at that moment?  The list goes on and just makes me feel as if he is watching.  Not to mention my Arlo goes off upstairs and there's no motion. When he knows I am travelling, it doesn't go off until it's close to time for me to be home.  It goes off at all hours of the day.  It's set to geo-fencing.  Could it be seeing the IR from another camera?  I am not tech savvy.  I do know that when I run fing, I will get 3-5 generic IP's show up occasionally, but they do not show on the log through my modem.  They are also outside of the range my modem assigns at .105-140.  My modem assigns .32-.65.  I can't seem to get a Mac address as I am using iOS.  I have worked diligently these last many weeks figuring out every IP on my fing and had it down.  Then today three generics were back online for a very short time.  Could these be hidden cameras from him?  Is there a way to find a Mac address for those generic IP's?  At least a DNS checker could help me identify a manufacturer.  I really don't feel I'm being paranoid, but do feel I'm spending way too much time trying to protect my privacy.  Finding evidence of this would be great for my case.  I'm grateful for your knowledge out there and any advice you can give.  Thanks!

Answers

• AlbertAlbert Member Posts: 97
    25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    This looks like a great job for a Fingbox.  Set it to block ANY IP/ or Item that you DO NOT recognize, or do not own.  Buying a FINGBOX is not very expensive , (maybe in the $120 range, but check this).  it will last forever and you can  look at whatever appears at ANY time on , or near, your network.  It simply cables up to your existing router. with a single RJ45 to RJ45 cable.  And it will give you peace of mind... which at times can be priceless. I have been running one for years and it is like having a team of Rottweiler guard dogs on your network. ( Rottweilers are lovely dogs... so animal lovers out there... pls don't take offense. You state you are spending way too much time on this so let the fingbox take over and help you to get your peace of mind back.
    Ok.... my two cents, am sure other forum members will have many more and better ideas.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    Albert,
  • ScoobyScooby Member Posts: 160
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes 5 Answers
    ✭✭✭
    Silly question, but, have you changed the password(s) on your modem, since he moved out?

When you see the .105 - .140 IP addresses in the Fing app, are you able to tap on them? If so, scroll down to "Manage this device", and tap on "Find open ports". Do any open ports show up? If so, you might see an "arrow pointing right" icon. Tap on one of those ports, and it might give an option to "open your browser" or another app, to connect to it. For example, my router shows port 80 as open, in the Fing app. It does have the "arrow" icon. When I tap on the port, it asks if I want to "Open browser". When I tap on that, my browsers opens to a web page for my router, and it does show "Linksys", which is the manufacturer of my router. You may not find any open ports, but it is something to try, and if you do find open ports, it may help to determine what the device is - no guarantees, though.
    Albert
    ✭✭✭
    Scooby... great comment ! I should have thought of that in my own reply to her.
    By the way..... no such a thing as a silly question. The only silly question is the one you did not ask !
    Albert
  • kedokedo Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Hey Guys.... THANKS for answering.  Scooby, yes I did change the password, but I changed it back when he was here and was inquiring why he wasn't on wifi.  Then I forgot to change it back.  If I keep the old password then I have the chance of finding the cameras.  If I don't, it's possible that the cameras may not be able to connect, but I was told by an IP guy that isn't always the case.  I spoke with a professional TSCM guy and it's $750-$1000 to sweep my place.  Ouch.  Especially when it could generate nada.  At this point, I have to catch the devices online again. Which means they have to be transmitting and I have to be scanning the wifi at the same time.  If they're not transmitting they do not show up in the app.  Until then I can't check to see if there are any open ports as you suggest.  And to do so, means I have to keep the old password.  Albert, you're probably right.  I should look into the fingbox.  I could use a team of guard dogs right now!  lol  (No offence people!).  ... I know this is a messed up situation, but I was really hoping to find evidence of the cameras AND protect my privacy.  I'm not hiding anything (other than eating pizza in front of the TV this winter (I'm a health nut and usually don't do that!) lol. I DO appreciate your advice!
    ✭✭✭
    Kedo... another option is to use a (semi ) professional  Frequency analyzer tool. Unless he works for Homeland Security, or the CIA, ... almost all Wifi Cams will operate in the 2.4 or 5GHz bands. the analysers will pick that up ... but you are quickly getting into high tech stuff here and these units are not cheap., and require some understanding of frequency spectrum's.  The units can indeed range from 100's into 1000's of dollars. For a one off sweep you can buy a handful of Fingboxes!!
    My advice remains the same: Put a Fingbox into the system... and BLOCK ANY IP YOU DO NOT KNOW. Simple and straightfwd. You can always buy it from Amazon and if it does not meet your expectations... return it. Or..... better still get a new boyfriend who is an accomplished Radio Amateur.... he will sort it out in short order to protect his turf. <Smile>
    Albert