How to best waterproof your outside RJ45 and Pwr connections.

Albert
Albert Member Posts: 97
25 Likes 10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭
Folks... this might be of interest to those of you who have Ethernet kit installed outdoors. Water ingress into your connectors is something you can do without. Now... I do accept that this post/question might be of limited value if yr stuff is all indoors but for those of you with outdoor kit.... here is a suggestion.
As a radio Ham for many years ( EI7II ) much of my antenna kit (and some Ethernet stuff as well) is outdoors. Whatever you can say about Ireland..... IT RAINS A LOT HERE ! (Trust me on that !).
For close on 20 years I have been using a product called CoaxSeal to waterproof my outdoor connectors. Let me tell you this: Nothing comes even close ( short of encapsulating yr connectors in epoxy resin and that sure ain't very practical !!!)
Am sharing this with you to avoid you having the same problems as I once had with water, over time ,seeping into the RJ45's and Pwr plugs. Those days are long gone now. See the photo below. It is very very seldom that I would endorse something so wholeheartedly but this stuff deserves it.
Do note: the instructions refer to commonly used parts by Radio Hams... but this stuff works on any type of connector and cable. In almost 20 years of use... I NEVER had a failure due to water ingress into any connector properly encapsulated in this stuff.
Albert

rootedMarcCiaran

Best Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,795
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2020 #2 Accepted Answer
    @Albert, I’m into restoring and playing vintage audio equipment and some of the best restorers I’ve encountered are ham operators.  Something about that hobby brings out the ingenuity in folks!  Nice tip on cable waterproofing.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Albert
  • Albert
    ✭✭✭
    #3 Accepted Answer
    Hi Marc... in that case you'd love my JBL Control room monitor speakers. Bought sometime late sixties or early seventies. Nothing else came ever close !
    Marc

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,795
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How about a set of KLH 6’s, circa 1970, clad in a wonderful oiled walnut veneer? Though I do like the early JBL’s...

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Albert
  • Albert
    ✭✭✭
    Marc... you will never die poor. Those are treasures !!!!! Must be worth  fortune !