Generic devices and IP address inquiry

Theone_001
Theone_001 Member Posts: 3
First Comment Photogenic
edited May 14, 2020 in Fing App #1

So I ran a scan of devices on my network, and there are about 4-5 generic devices on my network, all with an unavailable MAC address.

on a separate issue, my IP addresses all start with 10. Can someone explain to me why that is? I’m used to seeing 198, but never 10. And it’s really short too. 10.x.x.xx.

Answers

• Theone_001
    Theone_001 Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

So I ran a scan of devices on my network, and there are about 4-5 generic devices on my network, all with an unavailable MAC address. 

on a separate issue, my IP addresses all start with 10. Can someone explain to me why that is? I’m used to seeing 198, but never 10. And it’s really short too. 10.x.x.xx.

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Theone_001, welcome to the community.

Unknown devices could simply mean that Fing or Fingbox was unable to determine what those were, especially if the MAC address is not present.  What I typically recommend is to block those unknown devices in Fingbox and wait until 'someone yells'.

By that I mean wait until someone or something cannot access the internet on a specific device, which will lead you to the solution of what those unknown devices are.

As far as the IP address, there are some devices (especially ones that are leased from your ISP) that will use a 10.x.x.x IP Subnet.  This is normal.  Typically we would see 192.168.x.x as a localized environment, it's really a matter of preference, and in some cases, a matter of need if you plan on having multiple subnets on a LAN configuration (which is almost next to never in a consumer environment).
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Theone_001
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.