Speed Test servers can you give us the ability to change them?

SparksSparks Member, Beta Tester Posts: 79
10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
✭✭
I am not sure if I am connected directly to the server that is locked into the app!  I don't think I am as I have a 1 gig connection with Xfinity and I usually test at around 890 and an upload of 42.  Using your speed test today I am getting .05 down and 15 up.  If I use Speed test net or Google fiber or Xfinity speed test I am getting what is expected. So I think the server in your speed test is having faults but my system is running well.

dslibbyFabianpikatoste
3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,344
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Sparks
    Can you please check if M-Lab speed test is the same from link below?
    https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

That is the partner we use for speed measurement, so if Fing desktop results are not in line with the ones reported by M-Lab, we definitely have to fix something.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • SparksSparks Member, Beta Tester Posts: 79
    ✭✭
    Yes M-Lab is somewhere close look below. But that necessary doesn't help when the server they choose to use is faulty as it was yesterday. Notice upload speed is way off.

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,344
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Thanks for the feedback @Sparks
    I have moved this post to our Installation & Performance category. I will share this feedback with our developers. Thanks again.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • dslibbydslibby Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Having a very similar issue here in Zurich. I have Gigabit connect from Swisscom and it tests fine using other channels. Fingbox is pointing to Mlab in Milan and basically peaking incoming and putgoing traffic tests at circa 500Megabits... so half of the actual.

I’m assuming this makes the regular data collected pretty unrealizable and if it’s happening for a large number of users, this is messing-up the ratings of providers, might want to avoid publishing such unreliable data if you don’t want to get pursued by angry telcos once they catch wind of it. ;-) could be awkward.

Otherwise I still most of the stuff my Fingbox does. So thanks for that. :-)

• SparksSparks Member, Beta Tester Posts: 79
    ✭✭
    Yes I agree, I have tried four other speed test sites and all show similar results. But MLabs is way off.
  • pikatostepikatoste EspañaMember Posts: 56
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic

I also think it would be better to be able to choose the test server. The results I get on my FingBox are not catastrophic but they are not real.