SSID not matching my network

VABelle
VABelle Member Posts: 72
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭

Why does my SSID not match my network name? For example (and I’m not using the real names): My network is JJsNETWORK.2 but the Fing app identifies the SSID as Jjnetwork. Close but no cigar.

Best Answer

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,012
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    #2 Accepted Answer
    Hi, I would like to know if both of you have Fingboxes?
     If yes, Unfortunately, as of now, there is no way to change the name of the SSID with the current SSID. The problem here is due to the fact that the SSID is saved in the network when the user perform the scan using the Fing App (also when onboarding the Fingbox). After this 1st scan, all other scans are being done by the Fingbox itself, but since the Fingbox is connected through a wired LAN cable, it's not capable of detecting new SSID(s) in the network. At the moment, apart from uninstalling the Fingbox and reinstalling it, there is no way of updating the SSID. We have already caught the issue and I have already escalated this to our engineers and they are working on some solution for the same.  
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!

Answers

• Mickster
    Mickster Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic

I have the same issue. It picks up an older SSID no linet I'n use, but it's still somewhere in the Fing database of my account.

• Mickster
    First Comment Photogenic

Good info. I do have a Fing box on my network. I'll loom into reinstalling it.

• Mickster
    First Comment Photogenic

I mean "look" into... :(

• PeterB
    PeterB Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    I have the same problem after having moved from BT fibre to the cabinet and a BT Smart hub to an EE 4G router (Huawei B525s).  The SSID still references the BT Hub.  Has a fix been developed yet?
  • VABelle
    ✭✭

Yes, I do have a Fingbox (version 2). If I completely reset it, uninstall & reinstall the app, I can get it to recognize the new network name/BSSID. Unfortunately it still “remembers” devices that in some cases aren’t even connected any longer. Yes, I am able to manually remove them. One time the Fing app was identifying the Fingbox as being connected & online and it wasn’t even plugged in! It was sitting on the table across the room.There’s definitely a learning curve with both the app and the Fingbox itself but I’m going to keep plugging away at it.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi @VABelle
    I have sent you a private where I am Investigating your issue. Kindly respond to my message so I can guide you better. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • VABelle
    ✭✭
    I physically removed the Fingbox and the Fing app; set my network back to factory and let everything "sit" for one hour. I then hooked the Fingbox back and reloaded the Fing app onto my phone. At this time, everything was working exactly the way it was supposed to be, including the Fingbox which actually has the correct IP address now and the top LED is blue. The network details were shown as Dynamic IP; however, when I hooked my MacBook Pro up to the network for the first time, it suddenly changed to the Layer3Forwarding. I'm also getting a warning that my laptop has more than one IP address.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    VABelle said:
    I physically removed the Fingbox and the Fing app; set my network back to factory and let everything "sit" for one hour. I then hooked the Fingbox back and reloaded the Fing app onto my phone. At this time, everything was working exactly the way it was supposed to be, including the Fingbox which actually has the correct IP address now and the top LED is blue. The network details were shown as Dynamic IP; however, when I hooked my MacBook Pro up to the network for the first time, it suddenly changed to the Layer3Forwarding. I'm also getting a warning that my laptop has more than one IP address.
    Can you share the results on your ongoing Support ticket so I can investigate further? Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)