Incorrect Device Brand on Device Scan

Fingerbil
Fingerbil Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
Our home router / gateway (A Hitron CGNM-2250) has been showing as an old phone that I haven't used in 2 years in the device list scan. Anyone else have this type of oddity?

Answers

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Fingerbil ...  It's not unusual for a router to maintain a list of inactive registered devices.  I have a Linksys Wireless router that does the same.  Many routers allow you to go in and delete them manually, which is pretty much what I end up doing periodically.  I tried to look up yours to see if there is a menu selection for that but the web site did not have an obvious manual link on the product page.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 173
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    There is a similar post:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/2874/unknown-samsung-s5-using-access-point-ip
    I think it may have something with how Fing identifies the Hitron CGNM-2250 gateway/router. The IP Address shown, would be for your gateway/router, which is not a Samsung Galaxy S5.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,665
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2020 #4
    @Scooby nailed it and I definitely read @Fingerbil post wrong, please ignore my original response...  Fing is associating the MAC address incorrectly and I am also curious why this happens (I verified the MAC is identified elsewhere as a Hitron). @Robin and @Ciaran , would you be able to tell us why and if there is anything users of the Fing app can do to avoid and correct when we encounter this?  Also, If you read the link @Scooby posted, I don't know if this is an issue that dogs Hitron and if so if you folks are working on a solution for it??
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Fingerbil
    Fingerbil Member, Beta Tester Posts: 2
    Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    edited February 8, 2020 #5
    Thanks - I realize now that this IP (192.168.1.1) is actually for the USB interface this gateway has, which is enabled for file sharing. I have the IP for the gateway set at 192.168.1.254 and the Hitron modem is showing the proper brand. I deleted the USB device in Fing and when rescanned it showed again as a Samsung S5 Neo.  It still doesn't explain it showing as that but it's good to know from @Scooby's link that I'm not the only one who's come across this (I used to own a Neo and thought it was old info not being purged, but seeing that other people are getting that same brand makes me think there's a glitch in Fing's database).
  • Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 173
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this post too:
    Although it is an older post, VioletChepil's post might explain it - "get the algorithm to get the right device details." It's possible the "algorithm" has detected the "00:05:CA" mac address as a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo, in the past, and is using that for other devices, instead of Hitron. I wonder if you can try the beta test to correct it? In any case, hope it gets figured out.