Fing app idea for automated network scanning...

AllThingsdUK
AllThingsdUK Member Posts: 12
10 Comments Founder 5 Likes Photogenic
✭✭
Hi all,
I really wish that there was a configuration option for background network scanning & syncing. 
I often forget to manually open the app & run a scan which leaves me with outdated information in my network list. 
My ideal solution would be; 

Automated network scanning each time your device/ devices connect to a network. 
Ability to customize the frequency of the background scans after the initial 'scan on connect'.
Optional alerts on new or favourite devices discovered during the 'connection scan '.

Is this something that anyone else would find useful? 
Please let me know your thoughts on this idea. 
VioletChepilOCdang

Comments

• Murray
    Murray Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Get a Fingbox.
    VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 #3

Blunt the answer may be, however it contain much truth.

Having a dedicated Fingbox does make life significantly easier because it's airways on, always monitoring and always alerting.

Unsure at this early stage of the day (for me it's only 3am) if it checks all your boxes, but you've a far better chance or more accurate, more agile monitoring with the dedicated Fingbox than you doing with an app.

Perhaps @VioletChepil could add her requisite 2 pennies to the conversation. Also Violet, should this be moved to the Fing app category?

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Pooh this is something that PC/MAC versions could do.
    We have this planned in the roadmap! https://community.fing.com/discussion/89/the-fing-roadmap#latest
    Yes, I'm moving this also to Fing App category - feature requests. 

Community Manager at Fing

PoohAllThingsdUK
  • AllThingsdUK
    ✭✭
    Murray said:
    Get a Fingbox.

I've had 1 for 2 years.
    The box may scan my network but it doesn't scan any other external networks that it isn't connected to. 
    I am talking about Automated scanning for all network connections on Any device that is running the fing app. 

VioletChepil
  • Pooh
    Pooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fingbox isn't designed to be a heavy duty professional network monitor, its a consumer device.

Perhaps something like Domotz might be what you're looking for. @kltaylor you have Domotz: what say you?

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
    AllThingsdUKVioletChepil
  • AllThingsdUK
    ✭✭
    I'm referring specifically to the mobile apps. 
    I have a fingbox & have it heavily integrated into my automation & security system but it is the APP THAT SCANS THE NETWORKS THAT YOUR DEVICES CONNECT TO.
    (Although in the last few days the app has refused to scan my network connections & when I  initiate a network scan (of an external network that my fingbox isn't connected to)  the app just jumps back to my home/fingbox network. But that's another discussion entirely) 

Doesn't anyone else use the app to scan networks other than their home network? 
    Especially public networks for security and privacy reasons aside from just being interested? 

I thought I had shared my thoughts coherently when I made the initial post but obviously I haven't. 
    LOL.

VioletChepil
  • Hackencrash
    Hackencrash Member Posts: 14
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I’m glad it’s not just me then. I have a Fingbox too but when I use the app in standalone mode away from home I can no longer scan the network my phone has made a WiFi connection to. Instead, it flicks back to my home network where Fingbox is attached and does a scan there (although I am not there, I am somewhere else with not even a VPN connection between the two networks. This has only recently been happening in the last few weeks. 
    AllThingsdUKVioletChepil
  • AllThingsdUK
    ✭✭
    I’m glad it’s not just me then. I have a Fingbox too but when I use the app in standalone mode away from home I can no longer scan the network my phone has made a WiFi connection to. Instead, it flicks back to my home network where Fingbox is attached and does a scan there (although I am not there, I am somewhere else with not even a VPN connection between the two networks. This has only recently been happening in the last few weeks. 
    Exactly that!
    I wondered if maybe the fing app has stopped offering this very useful function? 
    I'll be disappointed if that is the case. 
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepil
    VioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @AllThingsdUK I believe this is something that we explored in the past and great suggestion. But as you may know, we've had issues with iOS11+ and MAC address anonymization. https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/cant-fing-see-mac-addresses-ios-11/
    Because of this we're focusing on MAC/PC etc. which stay permanently on network at present. However, I know it's definitely something we explored and worthwhile to consider for the future developments etc. 

Community Manager at Fing

AllThingsdUKkltaylor
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm referring specifically to the mobile apps. 
    I have a fingbox & have it heavily integrated into my automation & security system but it is the APP THAT SCANS THE NETWORKS THAT YOUR DEVICES CONNECT TO.
    (Although in the last few days the app has refused to scan my network connections & when I  initiate a network scan (of an external network that my fingbox isn't connected to)  the app just jumps back to my home/fingbox network. But that's another discussion entirely) 

Doesn't anyone else use the app to scan networks other than their home network? 
    Especially public networks for security and privacy reasons aside from just being interested? 

I thought I had shared my thoughts coherently when I made the initial post but obviously I haven't. 
    LOL.

I know that this is a feature request that was brought up not too long ago, the ability to be able to scan your guest network along with your LAN.  There's no promise or guarantee, but that feature was mentioned.
    To my knowledge, there really isn't an app that will scan an Access Point while you're connected wirelessly to another network, which is another reason why the request was made to Fing, to pioneer that feature and present a full, encompassing method of information to access.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • AllThingsdUK
    ✭✭
    I discovered why my scanning of other networks kept jumping back to my fingbox network and not scanning the current network my phone was connected to (I had only noticed this issue with 1 particular network which belongs to my friend who also has a fingbox).
    I had set my friends network as an access point connected to my home network where my fingbox is connected,  this had linked his network to mine so when I was trying to refresh my network scan while on this network my ssid would be at the top as his network was now an access point for mine.
    I sorted it out by going to network in the app, selecting my home network,  & removing the mac address of his router from my list of access points. 
    Now it's all fixed.
    Hope this helps. 
  • mozarella
    mozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 128
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    for automated scanning networks, i thought about a mobile fingbox mentioned here:
  • mozarella
    mozarella Member, Beta Tester Posts: 128
    100 Comments 5 Answers 25 Likes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    for automated scanning other networks, i thought about a mobile version of fingbox, which i mentioned here: