How to scan local network, not remote network attached to Fingbox

MozMoz Member Posts: 3
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I have the fing app installed on my android phone and I bought a Fingbox for home. That setup works fine but I seem to have lost the ability to scan the local network I am on as I used to be able to do. I cannot find the right button or action to select another WiFi network; it always stays connected to my home network! Am I doing something wrong? Am I really only limited to scanning my home network now that it has a Fingbox attached?

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Moz Fingbox is continuously monitoring the devices and so you cannot scan on demand, as the box is always checking status of devices. Does this make sense? 

Community Manager at Fing

• MozMoz Member Posts: 3

Hi, thanks @VioletChepil, I think I missed some detail. I have the fingbox on my home network and yes, it's continuously monitoring/scanning. But when I'm at work using WiFi, I can't find out how to scan the work network. I used to be able to, and the 'My Networks' list used to populate with each new network I joined.

One approach would be to disconnect the fing box, reinstall the android app and see if I get back to being able to scan any network that I am on.

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @moz,
    Can you check if the work network access point is accidentally added to the Fingbox network? That may be why when you refresh the network scan it redirects you to the Fingbox network.

You can try to remove the access points from the Fingbox network and then go to the device tab and run the scan on office network. It will automatically scan the work network and will not revert back to Fingbox network.
    To check and remove Access point (BSSID)
    1. Open the Fing App 
    2. Click on the Network Tab 
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name) 
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section 
    5. Press the 'X' beside each BSSID that you want to remove.  
    If you remove an entry accidentally, you will be asked to re-trust it.   
    If there is still a bad entry once a good one is trusted you can remove the invalid one. 
    Let me know if that solves things for you!
    Cheers,
    Violet

• MozMoz Member Posts: 3

Hi @VioletChepil ,

Thank you for your help. I managed to solve it by a re-install of the fing app on my phone. When I first used it after the install, the app or more speciffically android wanted permission to use location services which I know know you need to scan WiFi networks. I normally refuse location information to everything but mapping applications; I don't understand the necessity for android to insist on location (GPS) info but apparently "This is a new requirement since the release of Android 8.1".

So, all good and working again. On the My Networks pulldown SSID selector, I can select both home and work.

But it does mean I have to have GPS switched on everytime I use fing!!! ffs.

VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to hear that the issue is solved @moz. and thank you so much for reporting back to the community what worked for you to solve the issue. We can learn and use in the future!