Unknown mac

Eman
Eman Member Posts: 4
First Comment

I have some unknown mac addresses on my network and after checking open ports on them im getting "8888 sun answerbook" and "1080 socks"..Does anyone know what that means?

Answers

• Maya
    Maya Member, Beta Tester Posts: 41
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    You should try to discover network with Fing, if you have Android mobile, it should tell you MAC address and guess recognition.
    If you have apple, that hides mac addresses on your mobile, but you know the MAC address of the unknown device, you could try from https://recog.fing.com
    Even better if you are beta testing the Fing Desktop, that provides the best discovery, like the Fingbox... you should be able to check device details from there.
  • Eman
    First Comment

I searched mac and it comes back unknown

• Maya
    Maya Member, Beta Tester Posts: 41
    5 Answers 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Then it could be randomized.
    If you own a Fingbox, try to run bandwidth analysis on that MAC for some time and wait...
    Beyond knowing if it's making any traffic, there are chances that while running the analysis the Fingbox will improve recognition. It happened to me for a couple mobile phones that I just knew the brand and after bandwidth analysis I got full model and OS version!
  • Eman
    First Comment

Thankyou. I reran it with link you gave and it comes back as Amazon. Don't think its a threat. Possibly an Alexa my son has connected. Thanks again

Maya