Devices appearing twice on Fing network

BevanBevan Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
edited August 2019 in Fingbox
My Fing network is getting out of control!
Many of the devices are appearing twice now, long after I've identified them.
E.g. I added a Ring floodlight a few months ago. The MAC address is per the device (starting with "34:") but yesterday it popped up again but this time with a MAC address starting with "02:". 
The one with MAC address starting with "34" now has an IP address of 0.0.0.0 while the MAC address starting with "02" has a valid IP address. 
The Fing App was asking me to identify the new device - but when I looked in the details section, it showed up as running iOS and think it's my iPad!

Is there a way to clean up the Fing network without having to re-label and re-identify all my devices? A device would have an IP address but when re-connecting it might get another IP address. The device with the old IP address is still showing but I'd rather it be gone.

Any suggestions?
Robin

Comments

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Bevan are you using a mesh system? This can sometimes happen. More users have reported in this thread here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/169/unknown-device-trying-to-join-the-network

Community Manager at Fing

• PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 674
    500 Likes 500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondering if this also has something to do with MAC address randomization @VioletChepil , (although the 'reuse' of one of the MAC addresses seems improbable)
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
  • BevanBevan Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    Yes, I am using a mesh system. Stupid thing is Fing suddenly tells me that I have a new gateway - and then shows me one of my existing devices, e.g. a WEMO light switch! Very odd.

I just want to be able to clean up without having to re-identify and re-label each legit device again. ☹️
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin can you help with this thread?

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,679
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Bevan
    If you will clean up/delete the network then you have to re-label each device. There is no way to restore all devices with the labels because the Fing App will synchronize all changes made to your account. The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g.  

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

Also, I would like you to make sure all devices are connected to your network on which the Fing App is currently connected to. If you are connected to the 5ghz network and Fing is connected to the 2.4ghz network even though they all have the same name, you might not see the devices connected under the Device tab. And, if the router has multiple network interface which provides multiple frequencies(2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), and the devices are able to connect to multiple access points then you will see multiple names but only one will be active at a time and others will be greyed out. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,679
    2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Also, for Gateway, I will share some information. A gateway is a device that routes traffic between two separate networks. The best example of a gateway within your home network is your router. This acts as a gateway between your own personal network and your broadband provider’s network.  

So when you receive an alert from your Fingbox that a new gateway has appeared on your network it means that a device has become a gateway. This could be something usual (e.g. some triband routers have an interchangeable pool of addresses that change a lot), or could be coming from a device which redirects everything to itself (e.g. a hardware firewall), or could be a device that has been attached to your network that you weren’t aware is redirecting all the data.  
    Fingbox will alert you when it notices a new gateway so you can investigate if it is coming from a trusted or malicious source.  

When a new device joins a network, then it tends to distribute traffic through itself. If you do not know what the new gateway is, check to see if a new device has recently joined your network – this most likely will be the source of the new gateway. If it is a device you do not recognize then block it straight away. 

If you have multiple access points and if some devices are connected with both then you might find this gateway change alert. Even if the new device get connected to a different access point and Fingbox is connected to another access point, then Fingbox will detect it as some other access point is redirecting the traffic and thus giving you with an alert. We are trying to make the experience better so User can accept the gateway and then it does not ask again for the same access point. 

I would like you to follow these steps: 

1) Turn off the router/extenders and Fingbox 

2) Wait for a minute or two. 

3) Make the connection of Fingbox with the router directly if not done already. If you are using an extender/switch, then make the connection with it. 

4) Only Turn on the router and then wait for another minute or Two. 

5) Turn on the other network device like Switch/Extenders and then wait for a minute or two. 

6) Turn on the Fingbox and then re-install the Fing App after clearing up the cache as well. 

7) Sign in with the Fing App 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Thanks @Robin. I did that already while waiting for a reply to my question. I realised what you said about the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks etc but do you think the Fing app could be a bit smarter by applying some logic to the MAC address for those starting with "02:" and matching the last 6 characters? That's how I have been identifying my devices when they show up with different MAC addresses. 
    But it's a bit of a pain using this method because I had to scroll all the way to the top of the screen, pick "Search", then type in the last 6 characters of the MAC address. A list of devices showed up, and I tap on the details of the one in question. The TOP LINE (where you enter the name of the device) is usually off the top of the screen and you can scroll it down. So I had to remember where that record is (by IP address), exit the record, quit the search screen and scroll down to the device by IP address and then edit again. It is a tedious process.
    I also found that some of the records are "corrupted" - it showed a default device name but if you look in the details section it is actually a different device, e.g. A new device pops up and the name and icon says it's an iPhone. But when I look in the details, it says that the manufacturer is "Belkin". When I do a match for the last 6 characters of the MAC address, I found that it was, in fact, a Belkin device and not an Apple device. 
    That, I think, is definitely a bug. 
    Did someone just deleted my last comments? I wrote a response to Robin but now it's disappeared!

Did someone just deleted my last comments? I wrote a response to Robin but now it's disappeared!

edited September 2019
    @RobinOK, without writing everything again, here are the main points:
    1) a suggestion: can you use some logic to identify the devices, based on the common last 6 characters of the MAC address? The virtual MAC addresses starts with "02" so it must be possible to match them with their real MAC addresses.
    2) a bug: I've had a device showed up, saying it's an iPhone. When I look in the details, it says it's made by Belkin. In reality, it's a Belkin WEMO switch. I had to match the MAC address to find the real (and correct) device name.
    3) another bug: If you search the network (e.g. by putting in parts of a MAC address), it shows a list of matched devices. If you tap, you'll find the top line where you enter the device name, is off screen. You can't scroll down. So you have to exit that screen, exit the search results screen, scroll down the network list and find the entry, and then add the device name. 
    VioletChepil
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Bevan
    Just following up on this one. 
    • For 1) you can submit that as a new feature request here: https://community.fing.com/categories/feature-requests 
    • For 2 ) best thing to do is enter as many details as possible about the device to improve the crowd sourced algorithim. Typically device recognition improvements take time (can even be months) before the issue may be resolved.  
    • For 2) and 3) we'll also certainly flag those to our developers. You could also submit those as feature requests for tracking them if you like. We don't have any immediate fix that can be applied on these issues but can only get them qeued for review in our future improvements.
    Let me know any other way I can help.
    Thank you,
    Violet

✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Bevan just wanted to bring your attention to this thread here: https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/5775
    We are beta testing a new feature for improved device recognition which may solve issue number 2.

Hi Violet, Thanks for the headsup! I've just tried it with my Apple devices. I'll wait and see. 😊
    VioletChepil