Fing app crashing on old iPad running iOS 10.3

TangrooTangroo Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
I have an old iPad that won't update past iOS 10.3. This isn't a bad thing for Fing, however, because I can still scan for devices using MAC addresses. Everything was running fine until a few weeks ago (I can't recall the exact version), but now the UI freezes at about 9% when scanning, and will not recover. After force quitting the app and restarting it, the scan actually did complete successfully. The version of Fing is the current version (8.8.1), but has been happening for at least a few updates.

I realize that it is old hardware running a depreciated version of iOS, but one of the silver linings was that Fing could still scan using MAC addresses. Is there any way that is can be fixed so I can still use the old iPad for Fing, in addition to some reading and light web browsing?
Tagged:

Comments

• RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Tangroo

Can you please record a video and share it with us so I can investigate further?

Also, Do you have the possibility to try it out with another android device? If not, can you try to get the desktop version and share a ticket/query with us, so we can isolate the issue? 

Here are the links to download Fing Desktop: 
    macOS: https://mac-download.fing.com 
    Mac compatibility: Minimum is MacOS Sierra 

Windows:  https://win-download.fing.com/ 
    Windows compatibility: Windows 7 (64bit) and Windows 10 

The Fing Desktop package for Windows is a signed and certified package under the name of ‘Fing Ltd’ but Windows by default can sometimes show a security warning when the application is new and not frequently installed, which is the case for this new beta. Click "More info" and then choose to run the package.  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • TangrooTangroo Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Hi @Robin . Thanks for the response.  I currently use Fing on an old Android, Fing Desktop beta on a number of devices, and even a newer iOS device (even though it is somewhat useless with the MAC address issue, but that's another thing entirely).  It doesn't have any issues except on the old iPad running iOS 10.3.

That being said, I can definitely get a video to show what happens.  Another interesting tidbit is that the same device, and only that device, often has issues synchronizing my networks to/from my account.  Not sure if it is related, but it could be.  I'll try and make a video that shows both issues happening, although it might take me a day or two.  I have tried the usual stuff like rebooting the device, uninstalling and reinstalling Fing, etc. without success.

Thanks again and have a good day!
  • RobinRobin Administrator Posts: 2,312
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Tangroo
    We have released a new Fing App version yesterday. Can you upgrade and check if you are facing the same issue or not?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • TangrooTangroo Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Hi Robin - thanks for the update.  A very quick test this morning revealed no change unfortunately, but I hope to test it further tonight.  I will also make a video to show the exact behaviour. My apologies for not being able to get it done yet - it has been a busy couple of weeks for me. Thanks for your patience.
    I am also trying to isolate the issue a little bit more.  It went away for a short period before returning.  After the freeze happens, my "Account Storage" > "Account State" section shows "error", and re-synchronizing doesn't solve it.  "Restore" will solve the error, but then a scan starts automatically and it freezes again.  On all other devices the account state shows as "OK".  I have deleted all networks from my account to see if that was the issue, but the problem was not resolved, even with a "fresh slate".
    I will get a video to you and try a few other things as well. Thanks again!