Unidentified devices on home network

OnetimeRacing
OnetimeRacing Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
I have 2 unidentified devices on my network that have been on the network for almost a year. According to the MAC addresses (they start with CC:4E:EC) they are both made by Humax. After some research I see that Humax makes lots of devices but I don't see anything that I have. In a further attempt to identify them I checked my router see that they are connected using Ethernet (not WIFI). I have 22 devices plugged into the 2 switches I have and I know the identity of each of them. Does Humax make things that may be in other devices?
Albert

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, @OnetimeRacing, you've performed a lot of the proverbial leg work for me, so thank you for that.

This is what I've researched for that company:

"Humax (휴맥스) is a consumer electronics company. Founded in South Korea in 1989, it manufactures set-top boxes, digital video recorders, and other consumer electronics. It is publicly traded on KOSDAQ."

What I would do in a situation where I do not recognize a device on my network (either home or work), I disable the device completely.  When I attempt to interact with a device that, for some reason has no access to the internet anymore, simple math starts happening in my head (putting 2 and 2 together).

Until they can be properly recognized, especially since there is a possibility of a video recorder, block them and wait until someone or something screams about not being online.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Albert
  • OnetimeRacing
    OnetimeRacing Member, Beta Tester Posts: 11
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I determined that the 2 Humax devices are actually model C51 Directv Genie receivers. Interesting that they aren't directly connected using Ethernet as my router says. They must be connected to the main Directv DVR using a Directv protocol. The Directv DVR is connected with Ethernet to my network. Now the interesting question is why aren't there 3 in my network because that's how many Directv Genies I have.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I determined that the 2 Humax devices are actually model C51 Directv Genie receivers. Interesting that they aren't directly connected using Ethernet as my router says. They must be connected to the main Directv DVR using a Directv protocol. The Directv DVR is connected with Ethernet to my network. Now the interesting question is why aren't there 3 in my network because that's how many Directv Genies I have.
    Hi @OnetimeRacing

The Fing App discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

In your case, I believe the MAC address for the 3rd device is not recognised and that is why the 3rd device is not being identified as separate entity.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!