[PSA] The best outdoor home security cameras of 2020 via CNet

kltaylor
kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
✭✭✭✭✭✭
(Source)

Outdoor home security cameras rely on the same tech as their indoor counterparts, but make everything work despite shifting temperatures, rain, wind and snow. We've tested a lot of weatherproof cameras and they come in a lot of different styles. 

For the purposes of this post, we're defining outdoor security cameras as any weatherproof livestreaming cam, from traditional cameras to smart doorbells -- and even smart light fixtures with built-in HD cameras

To read more, click on the Source link above.

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
-Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
Marc

Comments

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,660
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh...    (This link, from the above source)

"Editors' note, Dec. 19: Over 3,000 Ring customers have recently had their personal account information exposed, according to reports. We are removing all Ring products from recommendation.  "

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    kltaylor
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh lovely, @Marc, I'm on the cusp of purchasing the Ring porch light device.  I guess I'll have to wait until it is patched.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yup @kltaylor, I have multiple Rings around the house. Just the thing I wanted to hear...

kltaylor
  • kltaylor
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Right?!
  • WileE_Coyote1
    WileE_Coyote1 Member Posts: 3
    First Answer First Comment Photogenic
    For some of us the wi-fi outdoor security cameras, such as the recommended Arlo, will likely stop working when the temperature gets down to -20˚ celsius or below. The batteries struggle to work which means when it is that cold your security system could be useless. Where I live we just had a solid week of -40˚ celsius and -30-ish a few days on either side of that -40 week. I opted to not buy the wi-fi Arlo system for just that reason. Imho hard wired is the only way to go when the temperatures drop that low.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. - Steven Wright
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

+1 on the hard wired. I could not deal with taking each down and charging, even if just occasionally...