Am I being monitored by my wifi administer ?

So I have this sneaky suspicion that my iPhone is being tracked by my roommates wifi connection. I’m here subletting and I don’t have access to the wifi or Internet details. How can I help determine if they are 1 tracking my browsing 2 able to track keystrokes , messages etc via access to my IP address through the wifi connection. I’ve also downloaded a VPN app hoping this will block access but I’m not educated enough on it.

when I search the devices in the network i see my iPhone , my laptop and all other devices are listed as generic however I know there are three laptops and three iPhones in addition to mine. Also there are voice control speakers listed (google box) lamps etc. How much if this should I be concerned about and also how can I keep my equipment secure from hacking through this internet connection. I have a feeling they have access to everything , hoping for some answers

Answers

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 873
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean that you don't have access to the WiFi or Internet details? You mean you are connecting to the wireless in the house but don't have physical access to the access point you are connecting to?

Simple answer is use a reputable always on VPN, such as ExpressVPN or NordVPN.

Personally I would get one of these:

And have it connect to their wireless and run a VPN on the travel router, then you only connect to your secured device and all your traffic is automatically encrypted to their WiFi. They won't be able to track anything.

Ciarankltaylormariaaggie
  • kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Jordan711 said:

So I have this sneaky suspicion that my iPhone is being tracked by my roommates wifi connection. I’m here subletting and I don’t have access to the wifi or Internet details. How can I help determine if they are 1 tracking my browsing 2 able to track keystrokes , messages etc via access to my IP address through the wifi connection. I’ve also downloaded a VPN app hoping this will block access but I’m not educated enough on it.

when I search the devices in the network i see my iPhone , my laptop and all other devices are listed as generic however I know there are three laptops and three iPhones in addition to mine. Also there are voice control speakers listed (google box) lamps etc. How much if this should I be concerned about and also how can I keep my equipment secure from hacking through this internet connection. I have a feeling they have access to everything , hoping for some answers

Hi @Jordan711, do you know of any time that your phone was not in your possession?  Have you changed your passcode or password to access the phone lately?

Most importantly, are your roommates savvy enough to perform those functions without your knowledge?  Are they working for a high-tier technology company?

If you scan the network using the Fing app, you can see exactly what is on the network just as much as they can.

Purchasing a mobile router as @rooted suggested isn't a bad idea.  Basically you would attach the device via Ethernet cable and then your wireless devices would connect to the mobile router with the information that you provided in the setup.

On the off chance that they are doing exactly what you feel that they may be doing ... it's time to find a new place to live.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    mariaaggieCiaran
  • Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Jordan711 do you have any update on this? It would be great to hear back from you. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)