Access points

VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 70
10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭

Fingbox is protecting two access points but I only have one router, no extenders. Would my NordVPN service be considered a 2nd access point?

Best Answer

• VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 70
    ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Perfect answer; now I understand. Thank you so much. I am in awe of your bandwidth speed, BTW! :)
    rooted

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 871
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

Fing will see a VPN , as when connected to a VPN your traffic is being routed through an additional network outside of your connected network.

On my home network, VPN on:

On my home network, VPN off:

• VABelleVABelle Member Posts: 70
    ✭✭

That’s still only showing one access point whether the VPN is on or not.

• RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,391
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @VABelle
    Thanks for your post. Every router has multiple network interface cards which is the reason, routers are able to provide multiple frequencies(2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz). These are different access points which has their own MAC address(BSSID). I believe the two access points are of the same router of different frequencies. You can verify this by checking the MAC address of the Access points(BSSID). 

Please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  
    3. Click on the Network Details section(This is the directly under your network name)  
    4. Scroll down and locate the Access Point Section  
    5. You will be able to see the BSSID.  

If the BSSID has first 6 digits same as Gateway SSID then it is the same device. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!