Fing V8.8 - 'Manage This Device'

DavidA
DavidA Member Posts: 2
First Comment
Since upgrading my iOS Fing App to V8.8x I've noticed that under 'Manage this device' the only option available is 'Remove'.
The 'Ping', 'Trace route', 'Find open ports', 'Wake on LAN' are all greyed out.
This is the same on three different devices I've tried...
Is this a common experience, or is it just me?

Answers

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 893
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not normal, try removing the network and rescanning. I just checked on my iPad and all the options are available.

• DavidA
    DavidA Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Thanks - it looks like after the upgrade I have to rescan the network before I can perform any of the actions.
    It's a bit of a nuisance because the Wake on LAN isn't available until the device has been rescanned, but if the device is off then it isn't seen in the scan. so for WOL to work after the upgrade you have to 'see' the device powered on - can be a bit of a Catch-22 !!
  • arm3112
    arm3112 Member Posts: 5
    Photogenic First Comment
    I'm having the same problem in version 8.8.1 on an iPad 2018.  No matter how many times I rescan my network, the only thing I can do with each device is remove it.  All other buttons are greyed out.
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You may need to remove and reinstall the application unfortunately.

• arm3112
    Photogenic First Comment
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app a few times, but it didn't make a difference.  The buttons are still greyed out with each scan.
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @arm3112
    Thanks for your post. From the 8.8.0 update and onwards, many actions like WOL are not available if you are not in the same network of the selected device. Your Fing app needs to be connected to the same access point as of the device for which you are trying to us the WOL and you will see the option available.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • arm3112
    Photogenic First Comment

I am on the same network when I am trying this. I am doing this within my home, all on the same home network. Still doesn’t work.

• rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2020 #9
  • arm3112
    Photogenic First Comment

I installed version 8.8.2 using TestFlight, but I'm still having the same issue. Has anyone else tried it on an iPad 2018? Maybe it's specific to that device. All I know is that before my latest update, all of the buttons were visible. I've attached an image to show what I'm talking about.

• rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 6th generation iPad and the buttons work, so I can’t understand what’s going on with your device.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @arm3112
    Are you connected to same access point as the plex server. From the 8.8.0 update, actions like WOL and others are not available if you are not in the same network of the selected device.
    In order to use these features, you need to be connected to the same access point as your device which you want to use the feature for and then you will see the feature activated.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • arm3112
    Photogenic First Comment

Yes, I’m connected to the same access point. This used to work in previous versions, but no longer does as of the latest updates.

• Robin_Ex_Fing
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @arm3112
    For your query, in order for WOL to work:
    - MAC Address should be available
    - Same network
    - Not Watched device from Digital Fence
    For Ping, Traceroute, PortScan:
    - Same network
    - Not Watched
    Robin (Admin at Fing)