Beta Testing of Fing 8.8.0 for Android

marco_from_fingmarco_from_fing Posts: 48Fing Team
10 Comments 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
✭✭
Hey all!
After iOS (v 8.8.1 has been released with quite a few fixes, thanks to your feedback), here's the time for Android version. 
We have significantly reviewed and revamped all areas to provide a unified smooth User Interface across Fing and Fingbox pages. This is part 1 of an ongoing activity to align, simplify and improve the journeys within the App. 
Not only that, you can now find:
  1. Access to Fing Outage Detector from the App: see and get notifications for Internet outages in your area about your Internet Provider
  2. Access to the full set of stats about Internet Providers: statistics, ratings, reviews, scoreboards, all from within the App. Navigate through cities and internet providers to be informed
Joining the open beta is easy: just head to
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.overlook.android.fing
and you will enable the possibility to receive the latest and greatest, directly from the Play Store.

Let us know what you think (and more importantly, if you spot bugs, crashes and the like).
Happy Finging!
Tagged:
rooted

Comments

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USPosts: 471Moderator
    50 Answers 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭

When you have a Fingbox you can't long press a device in the network and delete it, logout and you can delete devices.

• RobinRobin Posts: 770Administrator
    50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
    admin
    rooted said:

When you have a Fingbox you can't long press a device in the network and delete it, logout and you can delete devices.

Thanks for the feedback @rooted. I will pass on your feedback to our developers.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rooted
    ✭✭✭✭

Now delete is back and everything else is missing, you can still access these greyed out by long pressing the host.

✭✭✭✭
    Okay 8.8.0 (Jan 21, 2020) fixed the above issues, thank you @marco_from_fing.
    Ciaran
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25

The latest beta update broke the ability to delete devices again. @marco_from_fing

You can still delete offline devices but you can not delete devices which are online.

Idris_P
  • RobinRobin Posts: 770Administrator
    50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks for the feedback @rooted
    With our latest updates with the Fing app, you can't remove an online device. From the 8.8.0 update, actions like WOL and others are not available if you are not in the same network of the selected device.
    In order to use the WOL, you need to be connected to the same access point as your device which you want to use the feature for and then you will see the feature activated.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Idris_P
    ✭✭✭✭

That's seems an odd thing to remove, I like the ability to delete online devices and do a rescan as a way to verify the device is indeed online. Some of my devices don't respond to pings and this was the only easy way to verify connectivity.

Idris_P
  • MarcMarc Posts: 724Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 50 Answers 500 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on what @rooted said.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    Idris_P
  • marco_from_fingmarco_from_fing Posts: 48Fing Team
    ✭✭
    To clarify on @Robin's post:

* Deleting an online device from a Fingbox network has always been disabled. That is because, if the device is online and you delete it, Fingbox will automatically re-create it at the next scan because it's an active monitoring system. If the user logs out of the account, the network he's seeing is not "live data" anymore, and therefore you can delete it. 

* Deleting a device on a manually-scanned network is instead always possible, regardless of the online/offline state, because that state is just a snapshot of the past and doesn't get automatically updated.

If you're not able to delete an online device from a manually-scanned network, that is a bug. Let us know if that is what you intended.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To clarify on @Robin's post:

* Deleting an online device from a Fingbox network has always been disabled. That is because, if the device is online and you delete it, Fingbox will automatically re-create it at the next scan because it's an active monitoring system. If the user logs out of the account, the network he's seeing is not "live data" anymore, and therefore you can delete it. 

* Deleting a device on a manually-scanned network is instead always possible, regardless of the online/offline state, because that state is just a snapshot of the past and doesn't get automatically updated.

If you're not able to delete an online device from a manually-scanned network, that is a bug. Let us know if that is what you intended.
    The clarification of a device discovered via the Fingbox versus manual scan makes sense, for me at least, that is what I would expect.  For instance my Linksys Router will also not let you delete a Live device from its list.
    ✭✭✭✭

I think my issues stemmed from my Fingbox giving out on me then, because I couldn't delete a device after a manual scan.

• KoalaTeaTimeKoalaTeaTime Posts: 12Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic Name Dropper

And what if I'm remote on vacation and need to wol a device because of a power outage or something of that nature? It may ac power on but sleep and I need to wol? Just saying...

KoalaTeaTime with family and friends is therapeutic. Take some for yourself! Enjoy!

J.Mattingly

✭✭✭✭✭
    @Robin, is there a reason for the WOL limitations?  This might help @KoalaTeaTime understand the why and whether posting a feature request would even be possible.
  • marco_from_fingmarco_from_fing Posts: 48Fing Team
    ✭✭
    There's no specific technical limitation; this could be achieved in a way by setting the auto-wake on LAN when in need, and disable it when the device is back online.
    The basic approach is that Fingbox should help users by letting them know what is happening, so the online/offline state is detected automatically and reported with alerts, and if a device is supposed to be always on and goes down, automatically wake it up, rather then giving users the burden to check and troubleshoot by executing manually the  commands for pinging and waking manually.

Marc