Time limit

WolfWolf Member Posts: 5
Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic

Hi,

I have the fing box. Is there a way to limit a device (eg games console) to a hour for example and then fing blocks its access to the internet? Ie is there a way to set a daily time limit for a device?

Many thanks.

Tagged:
rootedWolfPurplexGaelia_123DarrenHill
5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 739
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12

Not as you describe.

The best you could do is assign the device to a user, let's say the users name is Tim and the device is an Xbox.

Create a user Timmy-Limit, then assign the Xbox to him, then go to People > Schedule Pause > Click + > then set schedule up for the days you want to limit and the times.

If setup like the image Tim could only play Xbox from 6 PM until 7 PM every day.

I like your idea though, it would be a nice parental control feature.

WolfRobin
  • WolfWolf Member Posts: 5

Many thanks for your reply. I understand the method you describe. The issue is that the kids would then spend all the time allocated playing the Xbox they were allocated. For example if I restricted them after school from 5pm until 8pm they would play for 3 hours. I would like to restrict there time to 1 hour per day rather than a specific time in the day. Is this possible? If not could it be suggested as a new feature? Thanks.

joselquin
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12

To my knowledge it's not a current feature. @Ciaran or @Robin could you help with this?

The thing with PS4 and Xbox is they need to stay connected to the internet so they may update, so I don't see a way to limit it in this way since the devices are always online.

Even limiting them in the way I describe would cause problems, when the child trys to play the system will likely be updating.

WolfCiaran

Thank you. I suppose this is not only for game consoles but for computers, Apple TV and other streaming services etc . When you say to the kids you can watch for a hour and then find out they’ve been on it for 3 hours it can be problematic!

• CiaranCiaran Administrator Posts: 840
    500 Comments 25 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    admin
    Hi @Wolf, currently it is not possible to set a specific time period and then turn off the internet for a specific device once the time period expires. The other option would be the 'Pause' functionality of the Fingbox to block certain devices for specific periods (I appreciate that this will not serve the exact functionality you were suggesting however). For more on the internet pause functionality, please see: https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/internet-pause/
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • joselquinjoselquin Member Posts: 1
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 5

I completely agree with what @Wolf is asking for. I'd like to restrict internet access to my son for 1 hour each day. Now, I have to give him access manually each day and I have to create an alarm to remember to swich it off. He must complete his school tasks to have this access, so there is no fixed time for this.

I agree with @joselquin. Could this not be a feature which could be developed? I think it would interest many parents. There are alternative products which are commercially available that do this, but they don't have the features that fing offer in terms of security. This could be an excellent selling point for the fing device. 
    ✭✭✭✭

You see the little vote button in the first post, you can now show your interest in having this be a feature by upvoting.

It's not a guarantee but it helps the developers gauge importance.

• Gaelia_123Gaelia_123 Member Posts: 11

Definitely be interested in this function too

@Gaelia_123 Hi Gaelia_123. Would you mind upvoting the first post? Perhaps someone at fing may pick it up and make it a new feature. Many thanks.

• Gaelia_123Gaelia_123 Member Posts: 11
    Sorry @Wolf thought I had. Have now done it.
    Would be an awesome function. to have the child ability to control their own use within a limit, rather than the parent always being the limiter.