Unrecognized Cisco device. Can you help?

MaplebewaringMaplebewaring Posts: 1Member
Photogenic
edited January 8 in Devices & Security

I have two Cisco devices in my network I don’t recognize. I am a likely target of the bastards who like their power. I am not techy I have one iPhone One MacBook what are these?

ciscoDP - numbera

both have in and out symbol almost like infinity

Answers

• CiaranCiaran Posts: 402Administrator
    100 Comments 25 Awesomes 5 Answers 25 Likes
    admin
    @Maplebewaring thank you for the query, I have slightly changed the title to reflect the content which will hopefully help other members assist. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    Maplebewaring
  • MarcMarc Posts: 602Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Comments 250 Likes 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Maplebewaring , would you know if your running a VPN or are you connecting securely to your work network with, say, the laptop or phone?  
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • OrangeBucketOrangeBucket Posts: 16Member
    10 Comments First Answer Photogenic

OK so you have one iPhone and one MacBook. What router do you have? Do you have Smart TVs or set top boxes or anything like that? Are any TV or phone services available via your ISP, even if you don't subscribe?

When you say 'CiscoDP - numbera', where exactly do you see that? What IP address is allocated? Something in the same sort of range your phone and laptop get? Or something a bit different that doesn't look so random (e.g. ending in .2 or .254)?

I didn't follow the in / out like infinity bit.

CiscoDP might mean Cisco Discovery Protocol. Unfortunately I know diddly-squat about that.

• ScoobyScooby Posts: 32Member
    10 Comments 5 Awesomes 5 Agrees 5 Likes
    ✭✭
    Does the "in and out symbol almost like infinity" look like the one for "Router", as seen in the picture below?
    a screenshot of the Fingbox digitalfence watched device with the devices list
    If so, then that would be for your router, or your ISP provided modem/router combo. Cisco does make cable modems. I used to have a Cisco DPC 3010 cable modem.

• kltaylorkltaylor Posts: 671Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Agrees 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The device is 'in range' meaning it may be a neighbor's television, but looking at the screenshot it doesn't have an IP address.  It's within range but has not connected to your LAN.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • MarcMarc Posts: 602Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Comments 250 Likes 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @kltaylor , that might be true if he was looking at the digital fence section, but I always assumed if it’s under the home network, then it on that home network and hence could not be a spurious item. Interesting....

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • kltaylorkltaylor Posts: 671Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Agrees 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, good point @Marc.  I didn't think about that.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain