No trace info or history for device on network?

Rain
Rain Member Posts: 2
First Comment

So I'm a lil confused, I have a device on my network that isn't in range of connecting to my network, but all info shows its still online and does not show any trace records and history? Can anyone help me?

Answers

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Rain and welcome to the community.
    Just so I understand this correctly, you show a device that appears to be online, but isn't in range of your network?
    I'm a bit confused too.
    If something isn't in range it should not show up as being on your network, having obtained an IP, etc.  However, that being said; there are issues where something can be online but an attempt to access it to discover its origin could give you a message indicating that it's 'out of range'

My favorite tried and true method in determining rogue access points like that ... block it.
    When something in your environment cannot reach the internet, that's most likely the culprit and you can determine whether or not to reactivate it again.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
  • Rain
    Rain Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

What if I have a network extender....should I be looking at the different routers connected to the network by chance?

• kltaylor
    kltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain said:

What if I have a network extender....should I be looking at the different routers connected to the network by chance?

It's not a bad idea for sure, and an extender could indeed give you that error if you attempted to access it after it's been attached to the WiFi.  Unplug it and let's see what happens next.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    Ciaran