How can i find out what information is be intercepted by someone that has hack our router

rone2020rone2020 Member Posts: 1
Photogenic
So I live in Canada so our internet provider is Bell Canada and ever since I downloaded the fing app (which is great everyone should download it) I noticed that someone is changing things on the router so logged onto the router and downloaded the logs which i found that someone has remotely access the router 3 times and on the fing app the last time i checked the app our location was somewhere in Buffalo ,New York and the ssid said buyvm not bell like it normally does. so my question is? is there a way to find what or who they are and what they were doing and how often does the ip address change if you are not changing it yourself 

Best Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 751
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

No way to know for sure but I highly recommend you factory reset the router, change the login password if possible, and change the passwords to your WiFi.

Robin
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,231
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yeah ... what @rooted said.  Regain control of your router by either factory resetting it, changing passwords to something more robust than what you have used in the past, even consider purchasing a more stable and robust router to help you manage and stay aware of what's happening on your network.
    The question isn't how do you figure out who's doing it, I'm willing to bet that you may already have an idea of that, the question is when are you going to take control back and block them from accessing your data?
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    rone2020
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 751
    500 Comments 50 Answers 100 Likes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6 Accepted Answer

Unfortunately a new router isn't going to help much if you continue to use the ISP provided gateway, so that would need to be replaced as well.

Unless placing it in bridge mode completely secures the device, although it usually doesn't.

Answers

• MarcMarc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,646
    100 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    buyvm is a hosting service, and that alone makes me think you need to take action as soon as possible.  Please follow @rooted and @kltaylor advice and let us know how you make out.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...