Another reason why I like my devices dumb

PoohPooh Member, Beta Tester Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭
From the Verge today:

At least three smart June Ovens have turned on in the middle of the night and heated up to 400 degrees or higher. The ovens’ owners aren’t sure why this happened, and June tellsThe Verge that user error is at fault. The company is planning an update that’ll hopefully remedy the situation and prevent it from happening again, but that change isn’t coming until next month.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/14/20802774/june-smart-oven-remote-preheat-update-user-error
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
Tagged:
MarcVioletChepilGidster

Comments

• MarcMarc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m with you @Pooh on this one.   Another example of just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. 
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    PoohVioletChepil
  • kltaylorkltaylor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pooh said:
    From the Verge today:

At least three smart June Ovens have turned on in the middle of the night and heated up to 400 degrees or higher. The ovens’ owners aren’t sure why this happened, and June tellsThe Verge that user error is at fault. The company is planning an update that’ll hopefully remedy the situation and prevent it from happening again, but that change isn’t coming until next month.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/14/20802774/june-smart-oven-remote-preheat-update-user-error
    Did they try to restart the device?
    <ducking>
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    PoohVioletChepilLee_Bo
  • Lee_BoLee_Bo Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    kltaylor said:
    Pooh said:
    From the Verge today:

Did they try to restart the device?
    <ducking>
    Bingo!  Rule #1 when an electronic devices acts up.  Reboot it.

Seriously, no, I DO NOT want a "smart appliance".
    MarcPooh
  • adamadam Member, Beta Tester Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

For me the best example of this is how many people I know have seemingly somewhat blindly jumped into the talking home assistant game and now have these invasive things listening to them day and night. No thank you!

Pooh
  • MarcMarc Member, Beta Tester Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    There is definitely a movement for making anything connected or "smart" just because you can. And not only naive Kickstarters but also the big consumer electronics manufacturers. But the problems they are solving are often extremely elusive. Smart appliances is the big one. The only real use-case I have been able to see is diagnostics. If the appliance can give early warning of a problem and help solve it then it maybe justifies the extra tech. 
    Would love to hear some genuine and compelling "smart" use-cases for the likes of ovens, washing machines, dishwashers, coffee machines, kettles etc
    Head of Product at Fing
  • MirekmalMirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    One of the worst examples of dumb smart device is my coffee machine... I can connect to via BT, power it on and start preparation of my favorite coffee, changing lots of drink parameters (how hot is the water, amount of coffee, how much milk, etc)... the only problem is that I still need to approach the machine to put a cup under the spout... So bottom line it is easier to press just one button on machine itself :wink:
    Marc