Paranoia or Invasion of Privacy? Please help.

DruBee123DruBee123 Posts: 5Member
Photogenic First Comment

Quick synopsis: I was an electronics technician in the U.S. Coast Guard. Radars, satellites etc. Honorably discharged for PTSD and Schizoaffective Disorder. 100% service-connected. I feel/know my intimate and at-home privacy is not at risk, but pretty much a lost conundrum. I feel there are cameras located in my television and throughout my house. IF or whether I'm being broadcasted into cyber space without my consent or knowledge has made my life almost unbearable. My name is Andrew Beltran. I live in Loma Linda, California. I don't know whether my landline/modem/router is compromised or if I am truly going cuckoo, in a slow and embarrassing fashion.

My most private, intimate and embarrassing moments (I think) have been made a public discussion and joke. Unless, and praying to the Lord that it is, a side effect of my Schizoaffective disorder.

Are there any tricks, apps, or ANYTHING y'all can help me out in fighting this rabbit's hole. Embarrassed even posting this as I may seem 2 cans short of a 6-pack.

S.O.S. y'all and have a blessed day.

/r,

Andrew Beltran Jr.

Best Answer

• kltaylorkltaylor Posts: 671Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Likes 500 Comments 100 Agrees 25 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @DruBee123 and welcome to the community.  On behalf of everyone here, I'd like to thank you for your service and commitment.  
    To a degree, I think that, especially with your MOS, this may just be an issue of paranoia.  While you did relay that a part of your life experience has been exposed to outside influence, there has to be a logical explanation for that.
    While there is validity and fact behind a 'big brother' aspect here in the US, to some degree we're all being watched.  I'm not sure what you can purchase or download that would perform a sweep of your residence for snooping devices, but I know that they exist.
    In all likelihood, knowing what you know and have been influenced with, you may just be over-thinking this.  Stay calm, be alert and above all stay safe.  You're one of the good guys, while they may finish last, we at least do finish.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain
    DruBee123MarcTheMilk_Man

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USPosts: 315Moderator
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Likes Member of the Month
    ✭✭✭
    edited January 5

Install Fing and do a scan on your network, see if there are devices on your network you don't recognize.

DruBee123MarcPartySFHard
  • DruBee123DruBee123 Posts: 5Member
    Photogenic First Comment

Thanks bro!! Much appreciated.

rooted
    Photogenic First Comment

Photogenic First Comment

@Kitaylor: Thanks bro! Needed a little encouragement. Made my day a little better. One Love.

Drew

✭✭✭✭✭
    DruBee123 said:

@Kitaylor: Thanks bro! Needed a little encouragement. Made my day a little better. One Love.

Drew

Happy to know that I made your day. =)

Let me know what you find out with your devices, one of the main reasons why I stick with this community is that we're here to help regardless if you own a Fing product yet.  We're hopeful that your experience here will influence your decision to buy a Fingbox to help you monitor and manage your network.

Don't go alone, it's why we're here.
    DruBee123
  • MarcMarc Posts: 602Moderator, Beta Tester
    500 Comments 250 Likes 25 Answers 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DruBee123 , as the questions come up, keep posting..  as the rest of the folks mentioned, its one of the nicer aspects of this site.  Everyone is here to help each other out, however we can...  And by the way, awesome skill set you have...  truly !
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
    DruBee123
    Photogenic First Comment

Thanks Marc. I didn't even think of posting more of my findings laid out in my everday life. However, even in the case I find that it is my paranoia (highly doubt), I believe even writing about my findings on this platform will help me deal with the negative emotional aspects of this conundrum.

Will do! And thanks for the support.

One Love.

Drew Beltran

rooted
  • VABelleVABelle Posts: 34Member
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭

You are not necessarily paranoid. There are underground clubs (dark web) that plant hidden cameras in public restrooms as well as people’s homes and they share the video feed. It’s a money-making operation for those who do the dirty work. It’s nearly impossible to discover unless you’re really looking for it. There is a professional group of specially trained technicians that do sweeps for this sort of invasive activity but it’s very expensive. Here’s a sample of one: https://comsecllc.com

It’s called a TSCM sweep.

✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this article today, has some really good information on what to look for and how to scan a network for devices that may be connected to it discretely.