Internet Performance - Fingbox limited ?

ClasheClashe Member Posts: 4
First Comment
Hello,

I own the first Fingbox, purchased via indiegogo funding in May 2017.
For the past few days I have been equipped with fiber at my home, speed 940 Mb / s reception and 465 Mb / s transmission.
Except during performance tests I arrive at a maximum of around 500 Mbps in reception.

Is the fingbox limited to this maximum speed, hardware too low?

Answers

• rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 863
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe it's limited to those speeds, the servers used are MLab and there has been some speed issues lately on their side.

• ClasheClashe Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Ok, too bad we can't change the test server ... I'll be patient, and we'll see in a few days if it's still the case.
    Thank you for the answer
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,097
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Clashe said:
    Ok, too bad we can't change the test server ... I'll be patient, and we'll see in a few days if it's still the case.
    Thank you for the answer
    Can you please check if M-Lab speed test is the same from link below?
    https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

That is the partner we use for speed measurement, so if Fing results are not in line with the ones reported by M-Lab, we definitely have to fix something.

We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rooted
    First Comment
    edited January 2020
    Hello, I just did 3 different tests with the site I usually use, yours and directly on the Fingbox
    My website (nperf) : DL 937 UP 463
    Your link (measurelab.net): DL 730 UP 423
    Fingbox: DL 517 UP 456
    So we can see that the Fingbox cannot take over about 500 Mb / s. Regarding your site it does not reach 1 Gb / s.
    admin
    Clashe said:
    Hello, I just did 3 different tests with the site I usually use, yours and directly on the Fingbox
    My website (nperf) : DL 937 UP 463
    Your link (measurelab.net): DL 730 UP 423
    Fingbox: DL 517 UP 456
    So we can see that the Fingbox cannot take over about 500 Mb / s. Regarding your site it does not reach 1 Gb / s.
    As mentioned as we use M-lab speed test and they will be using a single stream download speed tests ongoing. This could produce fewer results than before. For Fingbox, Can you check with any other ethernet cable like CAT 6 or 7 if the results match the website?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    First Comment
    Yes I did several tests with different cables, I always have the same result.
    admin
    Clashe said:
    Yes I did several tests with different cables, I always have the same result.
    You can try to change the ethernet port for Fingbox on your router and connect it to a different port and then check the results. Thanks
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • rootedrooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 863
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the speedtest server, I have Gigabit service and the server M-Labs selects for me is limited to about 350 megabit. I get the same result if visiting M-Labs site as well.

If I test from another source my results are much higher.

admin
    rooted said:

It's the speedtest server, I have Gigabit service and the server M-Labs selects for me is limited to about 350 megabit. I get the same result if visiting M-Labs site as well.

If I test from another source my results are much higher.

Thanks @rooted
    I think my earlier reply will cover this then. I will repost the information.
    If Fing results are not in line with the ones reported by M-Lab, we definitely have to fix something but the results from the web app matches.

We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    rooted