Set Manual IP for Fingbox

Larson
Larson Member Posts: 2
First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
Hi All,

pretty sure I'd done this before but now not sure how/where - would like to set a manual IP for my Fingbox rather than DHCP - I can reserve on my router within the DHCP scope but I like to keep scope and manual IP's separated.

Would one of you be so kind as to remind me how to do this?

thanks,

Larson
Tagged:
donvy

Answers

• DGP
    DGP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes
    ✭✭

Depending on the setting options of the router, I would try the following.
    The DHCP range varies by brand but is usually at xxx.xxx.xx.100 up to 200 or 255. Make that specific for a range that you want to leave free for the DHCP devices and assign the remaining ones to fixed IP addresses. So; limit DHCP, say, xxx.xxx.xx.150 to 255. The numbers up to and including ... 149 are assignable and separated. Is this what you are looking for?
  • Larson
    Larson Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

Hi

thanks for your reply

i was looking to find out how to manually set the IP of the Fing box rather than it be assigned one by DHCP.

pretty sure I had manually set previously but maybe I dreamt it :)

• DGP
    ✭✭
    You wrote "..... within the DHCP scope but I like to keep scope and manual IP's separated ..."
    So if you limit the scope of the IP addresses that DHCP assigns, you automatically have a range of IP addresses that you assign yourself. If you now want to give your FIngBox a specific IP address, assign one from the non-DHCP list. If you have set that in your router, you will have to restart the router. It then does what you want, with the result that it is possible that certain devices get a different (i.e. new) IP address.
    Your FIngBox will therefore also receive a new address. To make sure that everything works as intended I would restart the devices that it concerns.
    rooted
  • rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 898
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@DGP Do you know if you can set a static IP directly on the Fingbox hardware?

• DGP
    ✭✭
    No, that is not (yet) possible, I know. That would also be strange because Fingbox must be able to function on many (all ..) networks. Private networks in any case. All different, different (brand) routers and similar related devices. The router generally issues the IP address. Nowadays very rare but sometimes the ISP and more often the DHCP is turned off and IP addresses are issued by the admin.(you or me)

I actually think that Fing will not add that to Fingbox because I think that every part of a network has been assigned a role. The router too. Before you know it, Fingbox should also perform the role of a print server. As a bear has no tail, for a lion he'll fail.
    Robin_Ex_Fing
  • RockinRik
    RockinRik Member Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 19, 2020 #7
    I fail to understand why the Fing developers are having such a hard time recognizing the need to assign a static IP address to the Fingbox. Most phones, tablets, computers and many smart devices already have that capability; this very fact surely indicates this capability is both desirable and necessary in some situations. Rather than all this wasted commenting back and forth by users, why don't the developers weigh in. If they oppose this request then explain why they oppose it; otherwise, tell us it is in development and indicate when we can expect this capability. 

One final comment, being able to reserve an IP address for the Fingbox via the router does not guarantee that the Fingbox will use the reserved address. Just today my Fingbox decided to take the IP address of one of my printers because my router/gateway was restarted after a storm. Talk about aggravation ... I had to shutdown my DHCP server (which assigns addresses in a completely different range from my thermostat, VOIP phone, my Fingbox and other smart devices), unplug/replug my router/gateway and turn off Fingbox (several times) just to get it back to the reserved address. This was about 30 minutes of frustration, that had me cursing under my breath and thinking how this whole situation could have been prevented by some decent software. Please folks listen to your users ... we need this functionality.

TechChuck