Fingbox disconnects sporadically

Answers

• MartynK
    MartynK Hong KongMember Posts: 52
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    martenit said:
    MrClaude said:

I can offer my observations as a gen 1 owner. My unit began this offline online pattern a few weeks ago and just continued to worsen. I also noticed I could not update things using the app, like edit preferences and such. I deleted and reinstalled the app: no help. Then rebooted everything including routers: no help. It began to look like file corruption or permission issues somewhere, so I did a hard reset and let it reload the software. This resolution worked. It may be that corrupted file permissions on multiple aging fingboxes are balling up the servers.

I went through the whole process with my gen 1 Fing Box which included a hardware reset but none of that worked for me.
    I will wait to see if Fing comes up with a solution because I have already wasted a huge amount of my time attempting to problem solve this.
    I would like to say this was just a Fingbox v1 issue, but its not, it happened with my old v1 and its happening now with my brand new v2 that got delivered a week ago.
  • MrClaude
    MrClaude Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic
    Well, I spoke too soon. It only stayed fixed for a day and began bombing my inbox again with disconnect/connected messages. So for now i am disabling all notifications in the app. 
  • MartynK
    MartynK Hong KongMember Posts: 52
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees
    ✭✭
    MrClaude said:
    Well, I spoke too soon. It only stayed fixed for a day and began bombing my inbox again with disconnect/connected messages. So for now i am disabling all notifications in the app. 
    Mine has just started again.
  • jon2311
    jon2311 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 8
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    I have for a week or so receiving alerts lost connection as close as a few minutes a part. I have had the box since the system came out. Was beginning to think it was a hardware failure. I use the Fingbox through IFFT to detect when no one home shutdown the central heating etc. Hopefully the issue will be resolved. 
    seth
  • gavinr
    gavinr Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    I’ve been suffering from this problem for a few weeks.  Finally got the time to dig into it, and I’ve ended up here.  Looking forward to a proper solution being found.
    sethPaulP
  • WolfgangS
    WolfgangS GermanyMember Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic
    Same here. Hard reset didn't work.
  • straubr
    straubr Member Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi, finally I see a reply to my observe problem. Thank you.
    Now the question is when and how is it fixed?
  • PeterFlehmig
    PeterFlehmig OfficeMember Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary

I asked the reset question weeks ago for my V1 FB, with photos of the board, still waiting of an update or help

• Bking
    Bking Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    glad to find this. I've been having this issue for several weeks and failed to log onto the community.  It would be nice to get proactive notifications when the Fing infrastructure is having problems - maybe a twitter account or some other method.
    Mrite461
  • AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 107
    Third Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know which is worse--the offline alerts from the Fingbox, or the 23 emails alerting me of updated posts to this thread.  
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    Mrite461Mike_Walker
  • MrClaude
    MrClaude Member Posts: 5
    First Comment Photogenic

Maybe Amazon is about to launch their own network security service. Fing might be getting the Parler treatment! When you make you bed with big tech you operate only at their pleasure. Why can’t the Fing box be the server and send us text alarms directly to our phones or email boxes? Why even pay a middle man like AWS?

Will_P_UK
  • Rog7
    Rog7 UKMember Posts: 3
    First Comment
    I have just unplugged my fingbox because of these extremely regular connects/disconnects and associated notifications/emails.
    I'll await a fix before plugging it back in.
  • Mustbdoug
    Mustbdoug Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4

Yes, I am repeatedly being plagued by this. Imagine my surprise and delight to find such a well formed explanation and update when I came here to complain.

That’s stellar customer support. Don’t change a thing. (Good luck with the fixes!)

• DavidPDX
    DavidPDX Member Posts: 8
    Photogenic First Comment
    I appreciate the update too. When do you expect to have this remediated? My fingbox has been ping-ponging on/offline for weeks! Every few minutes. Still. Today.  My inbox is lterally full of notifications, some every few minutes. 
    Mrite461Mustbdougbidibid
  • MagicTorch1976
    MagicTorch1976 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

Done with it. Ordered a Cisco security device today. Coming tomorrow. Fingbox going to the great IT graveyard in the Sky. It’s spending more time off than on-line and whilst I appreciate things go wrong in our IT world, weeks of service unavailability and hundreds of off-line notifications, isn’t acceptable for a security service.

It was good whilst it lasted.

Will_P_UK
  • seth
    seth Member Posts: 6
    okay, so it seems i am not alone in this discovery error that seems to pop up every few hours. Very annoying.
    I hope there is a solution soon.. 
    V1 1.15 model.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • seth
    seth Member Posts: 6
    edited March 18, 2021 #199
    Well this sounds ominous... 

Change all alerts

The alert of all devices in the network HAX3 will be modified. All alerts will be enabled or disabled, based your choice below, in a single operation. You may not undo this operation.

Do you want to proceed?

===================

I did it and i can say it did not solve the problem!

Still app notifications on my phone.

[Deleted User]
  • Marc19403
    Marc19403 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    This is getting ridiculous quickly.   Just today I have had 20 plus disconnects and reconnects.   You mentioned a hardware upgrade.  Is this being pushed and when can this situation expected to be rectified.   To be honest, very shortly I will be looking for alternative devices/solutions and a partial refund on my subscription.  
    [Deleted User]
  • FunnyUserName
    FunnyUserName Member, Beta Tester Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    I'm having this issue too and I've had to disable Fing Notifications on the mobile app just so I can get some sleep most nights. Without notifications the usefulness of Fing super limited, I hope you can fix this soon.
    [Deleted User]
  • PaulP
    PaulP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    Third Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Likes Founder
    ✭✭✭
    gavinr said:
    I’ve been suffering from this problem for a few weeks.  Finally got the time to dig into it, and I’ve ended up here.  Looking forward to a proper solution being found.
    I'm in the same boat. The frequency seems to have gotten worse and the frustration got a a point where I set aside time to investigate. Found this thread and while any error like this is frustrating and disappointing it's good to know it is being worked on and that it's not just me :-)
    gavinr
  • oe1wrs
    oe1wrs Member Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Disappointing that this goes for so long without restoring the service...raising serious questions about the future of Fingbox. I have 2 V1’s myself in two homes and one more at my brother and have recommended to many friends. 
    Was almost ordering a V2 as I thought my first one is failing but it is not anymore available on Amazon.de.. seems no Fing store is up anymore as well...than found this thread...
    It was a great device and service but likely the business model is not sustainable when a server infrastructure behind needs to be financed with no steady income. The device was bought with the promise of a one time payment but with the recent introduction of optional subscription (with questionable value) it seems this model has failed...
    If indeed this subscription is required to keep the service available in future this should be clearly communicated and than all users know where they are and can decide to invest or drop the device and service.....
  • Beantown
    Beantown Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary Name Dropper

My Fingbox has also been connecting and reconnecting frequently, when no other of my devices appear to be offline.

Also, when online, I do not apppear to be able run any speedtest of Wi-Fi performance or internet it just spins and comes back zero. Is this all related to the issues Fing is apparently having with AWS per this thread?

gavinrWill_P_UK
  • gavinr
    gavinr Member Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

I believe so - at least, I’m seeing that symptom too.

• PineyCreek
    PineyCreek Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    @Ciaran @marco_from_fing , Thank you very much for your support.  Although the notifications are very annoying, I am grateful for the context and information provided as well as the knowledge that this is being actively worked on.  I look forward to further updates.  I will reconnect my Fingbox v1 in the hopes that an extra datapoint will assist.
  • Shark_Bait
    Shark_Bait Port SudanMember Posts: 2
    First Comment
    I have four V2 Fingboxes and four times the fun. Thankfully, the alert tone on my Fingboxes is different than my text, email, SmartThings, NVR and Ring alerts or I would lose my mind. It took a couple days to train myself to ignore the Fingbox alerts, but it is a little annoying. It will be nice when the problem gets fixed.
  • Rfischman
    Rfischman Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Throwing my hat in the ring here as well.  Been seeing this flip flopping issue for a few weeks now on a Fing v1 box.  I've had this box almost since the day they were offered and never had an issue with it until the past few weeks.  I'm about ready to shut the thing down and cancel my subscription.
    Jaward
  • Gezd
    Gezd Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Also been experiencing the up/down notifications, Fingbox has been flashing orange before reconnecting to solid blue. Have reset the fingbox (twice) with it getting stuck on solid Green before going to flashing orange. I cannot remove the device from my account because on the app.fing.com page it claims its associated with a network I cannot view or delete. My Fingbox is V1 I think with the multiple LEDs. 

Look forward to a fix being rolled out :smile:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Jaward
  • paolo83
    paolo83 Member, Beta Tester Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
    Many thanks for this technical explanation!