Fingbox disconnects sporadically

Answers

• Lister
    Lister Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi all,
    I have a fingbox v1, I was an early backer, and it has always worked perfectly, no issues until now. However, in the last week or so I get an alert through the app saying fingbox is offline, the timing seems to be random and intermittent. If I check the fingbox the LEDs are normal, I see network activity on the physical port, I can still see it in the app, everything looks ok. I see nothing in the logs that suggests a disconnect. After a while (also seems to be random, sometimes more than an hour) I get another app message saying fingbox is back online. I've tried restarting etc. but that doesn't seem to make any difference. 

Any ideas what this might be? Is there any troubleshooting I can do? 

Thanks!
    Prac2cul1PaVink
  • PeterFlehmig
    PeterFlehmig OfficeMember Posts: 21
    10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited March 8, 2021 #123
    since several days I have the problem that my Fingbox is always comming up with the massage "Fingbox Agent state: ON" and "Fingbox Agent state: OFF" all day long. I checked that there is no power loss and no Internet connection loss. I removed the observed network and tried a reset with did not work.
    Any idea what this could be. ??? At the moment I found no working solution for a reset (see photo) my Fingbox is version 1 with firmware 1.15.1.
    Any idea what to do ??? Thanks

• Marc19403
    Marc19403 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic
    I am having the same issue for many days.  Saturday it happened (on and off) maybe 6 times.  Last night only once.  It always happens to me during the night (11P-6A EST).   NEVER had this issue before, only last few days.
    Prac2cul1PaVink
  • Prac2cul1
    Prac2cul1 Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

I am also experiencing this same exact issue on west coast of USA. The latest occurrence was again on Friday and Saturday night 3/5-6/21

Fingbox v1, Android

Fri 3/5/21 US Pacific Time

Starting: 6:23 PM

Ending: 11:20 PM

Fingbox Cycled Offline & Online a total of 16 times.

Sat 3/6/21

Starting: 12:26 AM

Ending: 06:29 AM

Fingbox Cycled Offline & Online a total of 24 times.

I do not receive any new device warning from my Fingbox on my Android. Network Events and Timeline shows blank pages and the Fence is greyed out and the scan cannot not be activated. Is this a Fing server issue? Or is my Fingbox being hacked? If it's being hacked, I need Fing to advise exact steps to take when a hack is active. What is going on here?

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,081
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @PeterFlehmig, I moved this to the Fingbox area for visibility.  Let me also tag @Robin and @Ciaran to see if they can help you out.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • PeterFlehmig
    Thanks, I am not happy at the moment even if I had no on/off notification for some hours.
    Can it be that these problems depending with your server problems the last time...???
  • Robin_Ex_Fing
    Robin_Ex_Fing Member Posts: 5,293
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

We can confirm that we experienced an outage caused by a heavy load on our servers. Our Engineers have addressed the situation and it should now be resolved now. 

If your Fingbox is still offline then please DM me the MAC address of the Fingbox so I can guide you. This situation is regrettable and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your feedback and for reporting this issue.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • PeterFlehmig
    Sorry, I cant see that the problem is resolved, enclosed you will find a screenshot of my Fing messages this morning.
    I unpluged my Fingbox at the moment.
    TheOtherPete
  • martenit
    martenit Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic

Agree. I have given up caring. I know I can’t rely on the notifications any longer

TheOtherPete
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    TheOtherPete
  • mattcd216
    mattcd216 Member Posts: 0
    Photogenic

Recently updated my registered email address with fing which required a power cycle of the fingbox and me signing out and in to the app.

Since then the fingbox is constantly flipping between offline/online, with all the alerts that come with it. Several times an hour.

Rest of the network is fine.

Anyone else experienced or have any advice?

Thanks

• Demi
    Demi Member Posts: 0
    For a few days now my fingboxes in two different locations are stating that they are offline then back on... then off... then on again its a concern as the internet has not had a problem. This is happening on two different networks with two different service providers (sky and bt) Sky is my home and even now states that fingbox is not online yet my internet is fine.
  • PeterFlehmig
    You guys and ladies know that that is a very critical situation, for sure i can stopp the notifications, but this is not a solution...
    I can`t understand why you postetd in mid february your server problem as solved, while some users still experience this notification terror....
  • straubr
    straubr Member Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Noted this first since the last update of the app...
  • 97engineers
    97engineers Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Any ideas?
  • sas
    sas Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes Photogenic
    Since a week or so ago, one of my fingboxes goes offline at least every day at random times for about 4 minutes, but (so far) comes back.  This is a V2 Fb, on a network with an average of 8 active devices.
  • MrHKP
    MrHKP Member Posts: 1
    First Anniversary First Comment

I am seeing exactly the same issue. The support site says this is a ISP issue but I’m sure I’ve seen lots of people post recently about this.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @97engineers, Fing is currently experience a production issue they are working through.  You can follow this thread and @Robin's comments for updates.  Scroll to the bottom for the latest.

https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/26737#Comment_26737
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Demi, Fing is currently experiencing production issues they are working through.  You can follow this thread, where @Robin from Fing is keeping folks updated. Scroll to the bottom for the latest.    https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/26737#Comment_26737
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mattcd216, Fing is currently experiencing a production issue that its working through.  @Robin from Fing has been keeping folks updated from this thread.   Scroll to the bottom for the latest.   https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/26737#Comment_26737
  • PineyCreek
    PineyCreek Member Posts: 6
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 14, 2021 #142
    Device: Fingbox v1 (from the crowdfunding campaign, or whatever the intial sales method was; I've slept since then), has been in place and functioned correctly since installation.
    Firmware: 1.15.1
    Problem:  Noticed a week or two ago that I was getting repeated up and down alerts via the Fing app which was monitoring my Fingbox, and the timestamps of those alerts for offline/online were anywhere from 15 to 90 minutes earlier.  I tried disconnecting the power for a while, changing network cables, changing switch ports.  It connects sometimes and updates the status shown in-app, but still the notifications continue.
    I noticed just now that the lights on the network port did not have a solid green LED indicating physical connection...in fact, it's going up and down every few seconds.  When it goes up, it's immediately accompanied by the amber activity light blinking.  I also verified all 8 pins are straight and undamaged.
    As I said, I am still getting updates, and Fing's monitoring does show offline/online transitions.  Considering I've tried different switch port and a known-good cable replacement (and also note that all other items on this unmanaged switch function without issue), should I assume this is an issue with the port on the Fingbox v1?  Would a factory reset possibly help?  Any other troubleshooting suggestions?
  • Jadoube
    Jadoube Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Photogenic
    I have two fingbox monitoring seperate LANs. I have more or less observed the same on both networks.
  • PineyCreek
    Jadoube said:
    I have two fingbox monitoring seperate LANs. I have more or less observed the same on both networks.

Thank you for your response.  Could you be more specific?  When you say you're seeing the same thing, are you referring to the repeated offline/online notifications, or the green link light going off/on every few seconds?
  • Jadoube
    10 Comments Photogenic
    Online/offline notifications. I can’t really see the fingboxes so I don’t see the lights.  On one of them I am VPN to the office all day so I am sure the internet is up.  
  • PineyCreek
    Jadoube said:
    Online/offline notifications. I can’t really see the fingboxes so I don’t see the lights.  On one of them I am VPN to the office all day so I am sure the internet is up.  

Mmm...I think my situation is different.  Single flat network in my case, checking via Fing app internally on network.  While I have the Fing app open I can confirm the app shows the Fingbox disconnecting, then refreshing and showing it's connected.  The network itself never has an issue, not even the other devices connected to the same switch.  It's just the Fingbox.
  • Jadoube
    10 Comments Photogenic
    To clarify... the two LAN networks are not related. One of them is my home LAN; the other is a client LAN. Both are Class C 192.168.1.xxx
    I found this note in another thread:

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 

To do this:

• Open the Fing app and Sign in.

• Tap on the Avatar icon from the bottom tab

• Scroll down and Click on 'App Settings'

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house.

I've set this to 256/20 on my home LAN. So far the down/up noise is quiet. We will see.
  • WitchDoctor
    WitchDoctor Member, Beta Tester Posts: 0
    First Anniversary Photogenic

I keep getting this message 4-5 times a day. Can you please help me. Thank you.

• Jadoube
    10 Comments Photogenic
    No... still going down. It is currently showing down as I post this.
  • Gero
    Gero Member Posts: 10
    10 Comments 5 Agrees Photogenic First Anniversary
    New issue: Cannot find the selected network in your account (on Windows 10 screen), the fingbox (v.1) light ist blue and the last update in the android app was 4 hours ago. :-(
  • PineyCreek
    Jadoube said:
    To clarify... the two LAN networks are not related. One of them is my home LAN; the other is a client LAN. Both are Class C 192.168.1.xxx
    I found this note in another thread:

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. 

To do this:

• Open the Fing app and Sign in.

• Tap on the Avatar icon from the bottom tab

• Scroll down and Click on 'App Settings'

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house.

I've set this to 256/20 on my home LAN. So far the down/up noise is quiet. We will see.

I actually did adjust this after it started happening.  Prior, it was set to the default (letting Fing decide).  I changed it to the /24 network space I'm using at home, but there was no effect in regards to the notification.