Fingbox disconnects sporadically

Answers

• Ciaran
    Ciaran Administrator Posts: 1,180
    1000 Comments 250 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @martenit, I have checked the status of your Fingbox and appears to be online and operating as expected currently?
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 105
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Ciaran said:
    Hi @martenit, I have checked the status of your Fingbox and appears to be online and operating as expected currently?
    Seriously, you are not going to comment on the repeated disconnects many of us have reported?  Surely someone knows what is going on, and we deserve an answer.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
  • Ciaran
    admin
    Hi @AustinJerry. Previous to the comment you quoted I did post an update:
    'Hi All, as reported (& thank you for reporting), we can confirm that we did indeed experience an outage caused by a heavy load on our frontends. Our Engineers have addressed the situation and it should now be resolve. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.'
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Ciaran said:
    Hi @AustinJerry. Previous to the comment you quoted I did post an update:
    'Hi All, as reported (& thank you for reporting), we can confirm that we did indeed experience an outage caused by a heavy load on our frontends. Our Engineers have addressed the situation and it should now be resolve. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.'
    My apology, I missed seeing your previous post.
  • Ciaran
    admin
    Hi @AustinJerry, no problem. I appreciate the thread is very long, hence easy to miss an update. Apologies once again for the inconvenience. Thanks
    Ciaran (Admin at Fing)

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 893
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what happened is your post/s got moved and merged in this thread. I'm not positive as I don't know which posts but if that's what happened I apologize for any aggravation.

• TheOtherPete
    TheOtherPete Member, Beta Tester Posts: 3
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited March 6, 2021 #98
    Me too - same problem, started Fri 3/5/2021 10:53 PM
    Since then I have gotten dozens of "Your Fingbox 'xxx' is offline" followed shortly thereafter with Your Fingbox 'xxx' is back online

Last time was Sat 3/6/2021 3:36 PM, about 3 hours ago.
  • Bzglwrtz
    Bzglwrtz Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I guess it is time to turn off state change alerts for the Fingbox.
    Or you could get some sort of network monitoring device to monitor the state of the Fingbox... no, wait a minute...
    TheOtherPete
  • Bzglwrtz
    ✭✭
    SRP said:

Lastly, moving forward I wonder how we can a) convince Fing to provide a 24/7 backend status URL and b) get some company voice to at least acknowledge broad network issues in some forum, be it here, via Twitter or email when they occur. I'd be happy with 'We're aware and are working on it'.

I think they need something like Nagios watching their server(s) to alert them of problems. Or, alternatively, if a single server glitch can take out global Fingbox operation, a bit more resiliency in their infrastructure, although I'd hope they're looking into this after the current mess. So (a) automated server monitoring and (b) more resiliency in the back-ends.
    TheOtherPete
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I decided to turn off the state change alerts for the Fingbox and in the process, I revealed a number if issues that continue to frustrate me with my version of Fing (not the Premium version).
    I started out by launching Fing on my iPad, clicking Scan for Devices, and then Continue Scan.  Fing showed only 9 active devices, and the Fingbox was not one of them (?).  So then I selected Show Fingbox Network, and saw a list of 24 of 58 devices online, including the Fingbox.  I opened the details for the Fingbox, and the "Alert me when state changes" was not checked, even though I received multiple alerts during the server issues the other night.  I looked for the "Events" option, but it wasn't displayed on the iPad Fing version.
    So I launched the desktop Fing software, and it showed 20 of 39 devices on line.  In the Fingbox details, there is indeed an "Events" button, but it displays events for the Premium version only.
    Finally, I launched Fing on my iPhone, and received 24 of 37 devices online for a scan, and 24 of 58 devices when showing the Fingbox network.  It continues to frustrate me that I have never received an explanation of why different Fing versions result in different lists of  devices.  And the fact that the lists are not synchronized WRT the customization of device details is also frustrating.

Sometimes I wonder if the Premium version would be more reliable.  Is there a 30-day evaluation that I could try and discontinue if it does not meet my expectations?
  • martenit
    martenit Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    I read that there was an issue at the server end that was causing all these outages being reported by Fing Box. I believe it was stated that it was fixed but I am still continuing to get constant reporting of connections being lost.
    As these connection drops are only for the Fing Box and I have spent a great deal of time attempting to resolve these issues from my end, including with a hardware reset, different network cables, different nw ports, different nw switch, different power supply etc., I think it is time just to forget about it and turn of Fing Box notifications as it is just annoying to see dozens of notifications every day, sometimes every few minutes.
  • Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 3,003
    250 Answers 1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you try rebooting the Fingbox?  Aka, pull the plug, wait a minute and then plug it back in again.
    Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck.  I was unable to turn off state change notifications for the Fingbox.  OTOH, the disconnects have stopped for my Fingbox (for now).
  • cgwaters
    cgwaters Member, Beta Tester Posts: 4
    First Comment Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited March 7, 2021 #105

Over the last week I seem to be experiencing issues with my 3.5 year-old Fingbox device.

At the beginning of the week my MacBook suddenly lost access to the Internet. After trying numerous things on my Mac and on

my network, without success, I cycled the power on the Fingbox; all was well after that.

Two evenings ago (9:34pm local; 2:25am — UTC, perhaps?) I received a Fing app notification that the Fingbox was offline; 12 minutes later (9:46pm local; 2:30am; not sure why the duration time doesn’t match) I received a Fing app notification that the Fingbox was online. The same notification pair occurred again about an hour later.

Yesterday morning the offline/online notification pair occurred five more times. The offline/online notifications were from 5 to 15 minutes apart.

During these notifications I haven’t noticed any connectivity issues—until today. An offline notification occurred about 45 minutes ago. The Fing app says it’s disconnected from my network. Perhaps coincidentally, my MacBook is having difficulty connecting to my NAS.

I’ve unplugged the Fingbox from my network for the time being.

Any thoughts as to what is happening?

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @AustinJerry, to confirm the Fing website going back on line has NOT helped your notification issues?
  • Bzglwrtz
    ✭✭
    For the last day or so I've been having the same problem that others have reported in the past, my Fingbox keeps bouncing offline/online every twenty or thirty minutes or so.  I've tried the usual suggestions, changed the network cable, different port on the router, etc, but it's not helping, and in any case it had been running for several years before that without problems.
    That leads to the second issue, when I went to check the firmware version, both on https://help.fing.com/knowledge-base/fingbox-release-notes/  and https://community.fing.com/discussion/1089/fingbox-release-notes-log/p1?new=1 , they seem to be stuck at 1.14.18 when the current version is 1.15.1, so I can't even tell whether a recent firmware update may have caused the problem...
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    @AustinJerry, to confirm the Fing website going back on line has NOT helped your notification issues?
    No, that is not correct.  I am saying that the "Alert me when state changes" setting was turned off when the web site was having difficulties, and I was still getting repeated alerts.  In my opinion, if the setting is off, there should be no alerts.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Understood on your statement.  Right now, though, with the site up and running, state change notifications work?  And if you turn them off, do they stay off?  I want to make sure @Robin understands your continued issue if indeed there still is one.  I'm not sure if the setting in question is stored on the web site and referenced, which could explain why you were getting notifications still, versus stored locally which would mean it remains an issue.
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    Marc said:
    Understood on your statement.  Right now, though, with the site up and running, state change notifications work?  And if you turn them off, do they stay off?  I want to make sure @Robin understands your continued issue if indeed there still is one.  I'm not sure if the setting in question is stored on the web site and referenced, which could explain why you were getting notifications still, versus stored locally which would mean it remains an issue.
    I'll try and clarify.  The change notification setting appears in Fing, which is running on my desktop.  It can be toggled on (shows green) or off (shows grayed out).  While the web site issue was on-going and I was receiving repeated annoying statements change alerts, I decided to toggle the setting off.  When I looked, the setting was already off, which led to the question as to why I was receiving alerts.

The site is up and running now, but unless there is actually a state change, how can I answer your question?  So the question for @Robin is--why was I receiving state change notifications if the setting was off?  AFAIK, state change notifications have been working just fine for other devices on my local network.  It is only with the Fingbox that the notifications are not working as designed.
  • martenit
    Just to add to this further, as I said, I have done absolutely everything suggested and what I could think off but the disconnection notifications continue, even though I turned notifications for the Fing Box off.
    Just as an aside, if I look at the events in the iPhone app, it shows all the disconnections. The web interface doesn't show any. The two just do not correspond.
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@AustinJerry , turn something off that your monitoring and observe the behavior in the desktop app aka notification.

Otherwise, I think you’ve given the Fing folks quite a bit to go on. I hope they can figure this out.

• AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    This is easy to test.  I turned on the state change alert for my iPhone, set the timeout to 60 seconds, and then turned off WiFi to the iPhone.  As expected, I received an alert that the iPhone was offline a minute later, so everything is working as expected.  Except for the Fingbox, which is issuing offline alerts whether the state change setting is off or on.  That's what needs looking into.
    martenit
  • martenit
    I turned off notification for one device and then unplugged it and plugged it back in. There was no notification as expected. Fing Box is also turned off for notifications but they keep coming.
    As I mentioned before, there is an inconsistency between various apps. iPhone and iPad versions report all the events and you can view the history. The web interface and the Windows app do not show any history. The Mac OS does not install on Big Sur as it reports it is corrupt.
  • AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭
    I agree 100% about inconsistency across apps, especially when it comes to displaying what devices are online.  As for your notification test, did you adjust the timeout value?  By default, the default seems to be set quite high/
  • martenit
    Time out is set to 5 minutes which the auto setting
  • SRP
    SRP LAMember Posts: 120
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2021 #117

The Fing service was experiencing issues Friday evening and Saturday morning PST.

The symptoms you describe match those of many during this period.

Check the pinned outage thread for details.

I just had the same disconnect, reconnect occur again for me. Time will tell if this is a reoccurrence of the same issue.

• AustinJerry
    ✭✭✭

I just received a notification that my Fingbox went offline. WTF? Are the wheels coming off?

• rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately no, Fing services are indeed down again.

• rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And back up again.

• Duff556
    Duff556 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited March 8, 2021 #121
    Hi is this a service issue? I have 3 boxes in different locations on different networks and they are all doing the same which is generating multiple alerts?