Fingbox disconnects sporadically

Answers

• Bzglwrtz
    Bzglwrtz Member Posts: 46
    10 Comments 5 Agrees 5 Likes Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    There are three threads discussing the same problem, the best one to use is probably the server outages thread, https://community.fing.com/discussion/6370/outage-server-issue-25th-february-2021-resolved-new-firmware-release/p5A
    A note from that, it seems to be related to outages with app.fing.com.  It would be good to get more data on this: Are you getting a 504 Gateway Timeout error from app.fing.com at the same time your Fingbox is reported as being offline?  Replies to the server-outage thread, not this one.

• Owenlars
    Owenlars Member Posts: 16
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Agrees

Both my Fingboxes (one in London the other in France) are alternately showing connected, unreachable or disconnected and the scans for devices only work intermittently.

• Bzglwrtz
    ✭✭
    Yes, there are already three threads besides this one discussing it.  I'd suggest continuing on the server outages thread, https://community.fing.com/discussion/6370/outage-server-issue-25th-february-2021-resolved-new-firmware-release/p5
  • max2198
    max2198 Member Posts: 21
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited March 6, 2021 #65
    my Fingbox is flashing pink and green and some features are not working it started around 9 AM EST link to the video https://youtu.be/homc5gCS0ow
  • Shooter
    Shooter Member Posts: 81
    Second Anniversary 25 Agrees 25 Likes 10 Comments
    ✭✭✭
    Bzglwrtz said:
    pcsasd said:
    anyone knows a good alternative to the FingBox?

There are a few, but they're all subscription-based and cost more than the Fing one does :-(.
    Then let's have 'em, seriously!

I don't have time to keep dealing with the incompetance and blatant apathy that Fing' s owners and company representatives keeps showing their customers. Because if I'm going to have to pay for this type of network protection anyway, it won't be with Fing! I'd rather pay for a service with a track record of uncompromising quality (aka: it "works") and whose owners back their products and services. And if that service has an occasional problem, they are known to always alert their customers. In other words, a service that does it right and can be trusted to put their customers first?

How long are any of you willing to allow this garbage to continue happening while company representatives remain silent, cowering in the the corner, wishing for new jobs? 
    mizu42
  • pcsasd
    pcsasd Member Posts: 21
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Photogenic
    There is an open source alternative on Rapsberry Pi, but it takes time and maintenance to set up. Precisely why we choose for Fingbox at the original crowdsourcing event.
    https://www.instructables.com/Raspberry-Pi-Firewall-and-Intrusion-Detection-Syst/
  • Bzglwrtz
    ✭✭
    The one I remember at the moment is the Bitdefender Box 2 from the Bitdefender AV people, but you have to pay $150 + $100/year for the subscription, and from a quick look at both Amazon and the Bitdefender web site it no longer exists.  Another one was the Cujo Smart Firewall, but that was both quite problematic when it was available and is now also unavailable.
    One thing about Fing, at least it's still around even if it's not perfect.
  • SRP
    SRP LAMember Posts: 120
    100 Comments 25 Agrees 25 Likes 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭

I'd be interested in hearing about alternative solutions that people know of too if only for comparison sake. At this point Fing is already subscription based for the features I require.

• HaroldT1234
    HaroldT1234 Member Posts: 7
    Name Dropper First Comment

Damn, guess I kinda started a mass exodus here.... I didn’t do too much homework on the device before buying it (it wasn’t very expensive) so I read up a bit and liked what I heard but damn, from the comments here it seems like this thing and the service I signed up to pay for monthly really isn’t worth it. Throwing it up on eBay now and canceling my monthly paid sub. Thanks for all the input everyone, I wanted a quick all in one solution; not a full time job keeping a network device I PAY FOR, up and running while mod’s and support stay silent.

• Shooter
    ✭✭✭
    Bzglwrtz said:
    The one I remember at the moment is the Bitdefender Box 2 from the Bitdefender AV people, but you have to pay $150 + $100/year for the subscription, and from a quick look at both Amazon and the Bitdefender web site it no longer exists.  Another one was the Cujo Smart Firewall, but that was both quite problematic when it was available and is now also unavailable.
    One thing about Fing, at least it's still around even if it's not perfect.
    WTH? Why are giving me anything that's no longer available. And I would submit to you that Fing is not around, at least it hasn't been for me over the past week, and then how much longer into the future?
  • Bzglwrtz
    ✭✭
    To point out that there's not much else out there.  Another one is Firewalla which was crowdfunded a year or two back, would have to check if they're still around.
  • straubr
    straubr Member Posts: 5
    First Comment First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi,
    My Fingbox keeps going offline, then a couple of minute later online, then an hour ors olater again off/on.
    This happens since yesterday after the firmware update, yesterday...
    What now?
    Richard
  • SRP
    ✭✭✭

Not to jinx anything but the issue appears to be resolved for me currently. I got a mass delivery of post notification emails from this forum at the same time which I wasn't previously when this 'resolution' occurred. I'm maintaining updates from the Fingbox and remain connected ATM.

Everyone else still down?

• Shooter
    ✭✭✭
    @Bzglwrtz,
    Then please don't answer. I'm sure you mean well, but all this garbage has me in a foul mood! 

@SRP,
    Same here! 
  • HaroldT1234

Couldn’t tell you, device is already boxed back up and listed on eBay. Judging from the comments here and the top thread on the community page, this is a common occurrence. Unfortunately for Fing, when I pay for a service, I expect 99.9% uptime and when it fails within the first 15 minutes of me using it, and doesn’t resolve overnight, it gets removed and my subscription cancelled.

mizu42
  • Shooter
    ✭✭✭
    @pcsasd,

Thank you for the link! I'll review the information. But the phrase, "Pay once; no subscriptions" worries me a bit, lol! Once bitten, twice shy Syndrome. 
  • mizu42
    mizu42 Member Posts: 3
    Photogenic First Comment

It does not provide the fing features I care about. This is mainly for anonymously accessing the internet and pretend to be at a different locale.

I care about intrusions in my network...

• AustinJerry
    AustinJerry Member Posts: 105
    Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2021 #80
    I had eight separate events last night in which I received an alert that the Fingbox was offline.  Each event lasted 4-10 minutes.  I seen to recall that one could open an event log to view recent events for a specific network device.  Is that functionality now a part of the paid subscription?  I find it also strange that there is a firestorm of posts in this thread and not a single comment from the Fing support staff.  I guess it is time to turn off state change alerts for the Fingbox.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
  • SRP
    ✭✭✭

@HaroldT1234

It sounds like the timing of this outage for you was dreadful coming 10 minutes after your first setup. Not to dissuade you from your eBay decision but I've been using Fingboxes for a number of years and have, by and large, been extremely happy with what Fing does for me. Yes, they've not been great at communication to say the least during recent outages but I've only suffered a couple of these and they did migrate previously free services to paid accounts but I'm afraid this business model is the way of the world nowadays - Google Photos anyone! Lastly, I wish they were more responsive to user feature requests, however, Fingbox does stuff I've not found elsewhere.

@pcsasd

Thanks for that link. Like @Shooter says I'm not sure that's quite analogous to Fingbox (and share the fear over 'free forever') but if it does what they state it's a pretty cool bit of kit that I have now backed. Wouldn't have heard of it otherwise so much appreciated.

Lastly, moving forward I wonder how we can a) convince Fing to provide a 24/7 backend status URL and b) get some company voice to at least acknowledge broad network issues in some forum, be it here, via Twitter or email when they occur. I'd be happy with 'We're aware and are working on it'.

Prac2cul1
  • HaroldT1234

Thanks but seeing on the top thread of the board they said it took them an hour to even know there was a problem. I know within 5 minutes if I have a network issue using uptime robot. I’m an IT manager at one of the largest online animal food/supply sales platforms and we know within minutes if any production item is down. Every single production item has a monitor on it, EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. If this company has this big of an outage and doesn’t even freaking know for 60+ minutes, that screams to me that they are very poor at what they do or at least very poor at managing their core systems. Which also screams cheap outsourced labor. I appreciate that you’ve had good luck with your system and I hope you continue to have it, however if I pay for a service I demand that it ‘just works’ and their first impression on me is that they cannot provide that for me

SRP
  • pcsasd
    I've been reading up on the specs of the DeeperConnectMini. I agree, it is primarily a VPN, but so much more then that. It also includes intrusion detection, detailed monitoring, decentralized VPN, add blocking etc. Their business model is not subscription based but they ask a decent price that will have you covered until the hardware is outdated (the inevitable end-point in this fast chaning world).
    I'm sold and ordered one. The Fing box goes to one of my kids...
    SRP
  • SRP
    ✭✭✭

@HaroldT1234 Totally understood and tough to argue with your first impression. :) Best of luck moving forward.

• Shooter
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else having their posts removed? 
  • Shooter
    ✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2021 #86
    In the FingBox management screen of the android mobile app, my FB is now inexplicably showing as my Access Point, which is my Arris modem/router, along with several ports open instead of just th usual port 80. Is anyone else seeing this within their Android mobile app? Also, other than ports 80 & 443, can anyone please tell me why ports 53 & 8080 would also be open in this scenario?

• pcsasd
    Shooter said:
    Not that I know of, just checked but all my earlier posts here are still present.
  • Shooter
    ✭✭✭
    pcsasd said:
    Shooter said:
    Not that I know of, just checked but all my earlier posts here are still present.
    OK, thanks for checking in! I suspect my comment hit too close to home, and they didn't like it! 
  • Prac2cul1
    Prac2cul1 Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment Photogenic

Fri 3/5/21 US Pacific Time

Starting: 6:23 PM 

Ending: 11:20 PM

Fingbox Cycled Offline & Online: 16x (8 & 8)

Sat 3/6/21

Starting: 12:26 AM

Ending: 06:29 AM 

Fingbox Cycled Offline & Online: 24x (12 & 12)

I would send you the screenshots, but the MAC number is showing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    rootedMarc
  • martenit
    martenit Member, Beta Tester Posts: 32
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    I performed a hardware factory reset of the Fing Box to see if that resolves the issue of disconnections. It hasn't.
    I observed the device during the course of an evening and found that the device turned red a number of times although at that time, the internet was still working as I was watching some YouTube videos. It appears that the reporting of outages do not actually correspond to any outages.
    When the outages occur on the Fing, the app reports that it is disconnected, however looking in the log on-line, there are no outages reported but on the iOS app there are numerous outages. e.g. since 18:30 yesterday until 07:46 today, there were 15 outages. 
    Off - On
    07:46 - 07:37
    06:51 - 06:56
    05:34 - 05:36
    03:51 - 03:51
    03:03- - 03:07
    02:41 - 02:43
    00:53 - 00:56
    23:52 - 23:53
    23:03 - 23:14
    22:28 - 22:43
    22:20 - 22: 26
    21:13 - 22:14
    20:34 - 20:44
    18:47 - 18:50
    18:25 - 18:52
    Some of these outages showed up as red lights on the device, others showed nothing.