Fingbox disconnects sporadically

tjak2133
tjak2133 Member Posts: 2
First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
edited January 5, 2020 in Fingbox #1

At least once a week, my Fingbox will alert me stating it has no internet connection although I have an internet connection. I do not lose amy connections to any of my wireless or wired devices. The Fingbox is connected directly into my router. The router is a NETGEAR - Nighthawk AX8 AX6000. To resolve this. I have to unplug the Fingbox and plug in back in. Any ideas?

Netside

Best Answer

• Netside
    Netside Member Posts: 5
    First Answer Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 6, 2020 #2 Accepted Answer

Having same problem, but happens daily now. Had for two years before this. Hope it's not dying.

seth

Answers

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 872
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything in your router logs? Perhaps your router believes Fingbox is a threat occasionally and takes action.

• tjak2133
    tjak2133 Member Posts: 2
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment

Thanks for replying. I purchased mine March 2019. So its about 10 months old.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,742
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi Everyone,

As we have investigated the reason for Fingbox going Offline, there are two reasons:  

1) Internet Outages. The fingbox is correctly connected to the network and the home wifi works well, but the internet is down. These outages are underlined in the timeline on the speed test view. In that case, please check for minor Internet outages with your ISP. 

2) Lost of load-bearing. In this case, the fingbox seems to lose the IP address. It might due either to the cable or to the switch connected to. 

I would like to confirm if the ethernet cable is not broken. I would also like you to try any Cat 6 or Cat 7 cable and then see if it is still losing connection or not. 

If you experience issues with network connectivity for Fingbox, you can either increase the network size on Fing App. To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

Or, you can check if the Ip address assigned to Fingbox is not being used by other Device which disconnects the Fingbox from the connection. I would request you to assign a Static IP address to Fingbox which will help us to isolate the issue. Assigning Static IP address to most devices is easy, just go to its network settings, look for DHCP option and turn it OFF. Once you do that, you'll see a text area to enter Static IP address. Enter the new IP address there, save changes. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rooted
  • Edward_S
    Edward_S Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

The alerts are false the find box LEDs do not change colors and no other devices loose connectivity.

I have power cycled the find box and confirmed its on the latest firmware.

• Marc
    Marc Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 2,660
    1,000 Likes 2500 Comments 100 Answers 250 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Edward_S ... are the alerts that the Fingbox itself is off line or devices it’s monitoring are going off and on line?

if it’s the Fingbox, would you be able to swap in a new Ethernet cable to eliminate that as an issue?

Thats Daphnee, she's a good dog...
  • Edward_S
    First Comment

Thanks for the reply back! I've tried 2 different cables and 2 different ports on the switch. No change.

Thanks again.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    And is it the Fingbox that’s going off and on line?
  • Edward_S
    First Comment

The light on top of the find box will stay blue. But the app will say it's off line and the I will get an alert. Then between 5 min to 30 min it will come back and eventually go out again.

seth
  • Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that it stays blue is strange.  It should start to flash or otherwise change colors when it can’t connect or is off line.  Let me tag @Robin from Fing to see if he can help.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,742
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Thanks @Marc for the support.
    @Edward_S
    Can you share the screenshot of the alert?
    I believe you are getting state change alerts. The reason you are receiving many/delayed alerts for the Users/devices is that you might have changed the state change alert from default value to a different value.
    The usual default value is 20 minutes. Sometimes, when the device is not in use, it may go to sleep mode and then if the state change is set to the lowest value of 1 minute or 2 minutes then It can be recorded as offline or out of range. So, when it returns back from the sleep mode, it will be marked as Online and thus providing you with an alert. If the state change alert value is set to more than 20 minutes, then until that time period is finished, that device will still be marked Online and only after that time period it will be recorded as Offline, thus providing you with an alert.  

In order to change the alert settings, please click on the device from the device list and then scroll down to State Change Timeout(auto) and set the value to at least 20 minutes. It will resolve your issue. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Edward_S
    First Comment

So I took it a step past what you suggested. I turned off notifications for the fing box yet some how im still getting offline/online app notifications.

seth
  • martenit
    martenit Member, Beta Tester Posts: 27
    10 Comments First Anniversary Photogenic
    I am having this issue and it occurs many times a day but as others reported, the internet connection is not down despite the frequent reporting otherwise.
    There is mention of setting a static IP address but I cannot see where that can be done in the app. I assigned a specific IP address for Fing in my router which is well below the DHCP allocations but I still have this problem.
    The Fing Box used to be fine but it has been doing this more recently but I cannot be certain when this started.
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2021 #15

Have you tried changing out the CAT5e cable?

• martenit
    Yes, I have changed the cable for a CAT6
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you using a v1 or v2 Fingbox? Not that it matters it just seems this is affects the v1 more than the v2 just going by complaints here in the community. No hard evidence to support that of course.

• martenit
    Model is FIN-B-001
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a v1, could you check to see what your firmware version is?

• martenit
    edited March 5, 2021 #20
    Interestingly, the firmware number does not appear next to "Fingbox" (has the MAC address below) but it is when you look at the details of the device. I believe it is 1.15.1
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the latest version, when is the last time the fingbox lost connection?

• martenit
    edited March 5, 2021 #22
    Today an hour ago. It loses connection many times a day. For example, last offline was at 10:11, online 10:15. Before that 9:53 off, 9:56 on, 9:28 off, 9:32 on etc etc etc. PS: I am in 10:30 GMT
    As you can see, quite frequently
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Marc You are around a lot more than I, have you seen others experiencing this lately?

Outside of the outages that have happened.

• martenit
    Can't answer that. It has been happening for a while now. I suppose I can turn off notifications but that does not solve the issue.
    It would be different if I actually had outages but I don't have them. During the times that it reports an outage, the internet is still functioning OK.
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I tagged another moderator who is around more than I am to see if he may have any ideas.

• Marc
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2021 #26
    rooted said:

@Marc You are around a lot more than I, have you seen others experiencing this lately?

Outside of the outages that have happened.

Hey @rooted,  I have not seen widespread outage issues.  This is the only one I’ve worked on that’s close..  https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/26190#Comment_26190
    rooted
  • martenit
    I spotted something today and it coincided with the 'down' status. The device had gone white which means it was powering up, implying that it had powered down or rebooted/restarted. It would explain the messages but I have no idea why it is powering down.
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could try a new power cable and/or power supply.

• martenit
    I suppose I could try and find another power supply. Strange the typical down/up time is within a minute but sometimes longer.
    I will report back when I have had a chance too find an alternative power supply
    rooted
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Power supplies do go bad and the behavior is random rebooting or just general wonkiness.

At least it will rule out one thing even if it doesn't help.

• martenit
    Well I found one and will see how that goes