Device not detected on wireless network

Liam
Liam Member Posts: 3
First Comment
Hi, We recently purchased a Fingbox but when trying to add the device to the app it is not detected. The device is showing the green light but after multiple scans it does not show.
Does the router need to have wireless enabled for this to work? We currently have no wifi on the router but 3 access points on the same VLAN with wireless enabled. ( Fingbox is connected to the router in a port that is assigned to the same VLAN as the access points) The router we have is not capable of wireless and we are using access points with a specific SSID for the kids only. The router is a Draytek 2862 and the access points are Draytek AP902c.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,145
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Liam
    Welcome to Fing Family.

In order to make the first connection of Fingbox, it needs to be connected directly to the router. If you have multiple devices plugged into the router, then you can use a switch and free one of the ports for Fingbox by connecting those devices to a switch which connects back to the router. 

To assist with setting up your Fingbox set up, under App Settings, please make the following 2 changes: 

1. Disable Reverse DNS Lookup 

2. Change the Maximum network size to match your network size. 

To do this: 

• Open the Fing app, ensure that you are on the Network associated with your Fingbox 

• Tap on the Avatar icon in the top-right corner 

• Choose 'App Settings' 

• Scroll down and go to the "Maximum Network Size" setting and select the size based on the number of devices connected to network in your house. 

These changes should help with the issues in scanning. The top circle is GREEN but the Fingbox is not found 

Make sure to connect the Fingbox to your main router or WiFi access point. Disconnect Wi-Fi extenders or power line bridges. Also, make sure that your mobile phone is connected to same wifi(access point) on which Fingbox is connected. 

Log-in to your account: 

Make sure you are signed in to your Fing account. You can check this from the second tab MY NETWORKS. If not, you may create a new account from that tab, and try to discover again the network to enable the Fingbox. Just click “Get A Fing Account” from the MY NETWORKS tab. 

If you are unable to see the Fingbox, then please remove all old network from the Fing App and then run the scan again and then try to find the Fingbox again. 

To remove old Networks, please follow these steps:  
    1. Open the Fing App  
    2. Click on the Network Tab  

3. From the Top DropDown Menu, long tap on the network that you want to delete.  
    4. Select 'Delete' and then go back  
    5. Go to 'Accounts & Settings' display (by clicking on the icon/avatar in the top right-hand corner of the main display on the screen on the App)  
    6. Click on 'Account storage'  
    7. Click 'Synchronize'  

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Liam
    First Comment
    Thanks for your response. I will give this a try when I next visit but could you just confirm whether it matters if there are vlan tags in place or not? The access points use vlan tags to separate the different wireless SSID but the port where the fingbox will be plugged in to (On the router) will not use vlan tag and will just be assigned to the same LAN subnet.
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Liam said:
    Thanks for your response. I will give this a try when I next visit but could you just confirm whether it matters if there are vlan tags in place or not? The access points use vlan tags to separate the different wireless SSID but the port where the fingbox will be plugged in to (On the router) will not use vlan tag and will just be assigned to the same LAN subnet.
    The Fingbox will connect to access points being broadcast by router and then from the Fing Application on mobile, you can add it to any access point which you want to monitor 24/7. If your mobile device is connected to access point A and then you search for Fingbox then you activate the Fingbox then Fingbox will get active on that access point.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Liam
    First Comment
    The access points use VLAN tags will the fingbox work with VLAN tags/VLAN ID's?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Liam said:
    The access points use VLAN tags will the fingbox work with VLAN tags/VLAN ID's?
    @Liam
    I apologize for the delay. As of now, we have not tested Fingbox with VLAN tags so I am not sure it will work or not. Usually, we suggest connecting Fingbox directly to a dedicated port on router.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)