Navigating the Fing Community - Recap of the latest changes - what do you think

VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Community Updates
Hello all,
Just wanted to notify everyone of some quick little changes I've applied on the Community navigation thanks to recent feedback.

Table layout
In general, I've implemented the table layout to the community. This now displays post lists with the originaly post date and last updated date. 

Recent Discussions
https://community.fing.com/discussions
  • This is displaying the latest updated posts in Devices & Security, Connectivity and General Discussion. (And also specific posts that I promote there).  

Fing App/Fingbox Discussions
A feature request sub-category has now been added to Fing App/Fingbox. Please post your feature requests in their respective threads. 
For Fingbox users, if you're interested in the latest Fingbox posts, you can follow threads from the categories page. And you'll be alerted about new posts there too. 
(Example)

Questions
I can't stress this enough - if you have a support question/or something that needs a resolution please post your content as a question! This will make sure it's in the unanswered queue until someone provides an answer for you. https://community.fing.com/discussions/unanswered 

Add @VioletChepil to your discussion/question if you need any help 
If you are having a hard time getting an answer, or need any help on your question, please add me to your discussion/question by using @VioletChepil. I'm really keen to make sure everyone gets a response/help and if you need some support from me please add me in. 

If you have any more feedback on the navigation etc. don't hesitate to let me know.
Of course, we're just getting started and we'll be making improvements along the way! 

Community Manager at Fing

Tagged:
PoohKayJaypwmeekMarc

Comments

• KayJayKayJay Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking the changes/organizational structure!  It just keeps getting better.
    Gidster
  • AustinJerryAustinJerry Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Violet, while I commend your efforts to make posts more accessible, it seems like you are constrained by the platform (software) used for the Community.  On other large forums that I frequent, I am able to subscribe to specific discussions.  When I log in, only the subscribed discussions are presented to me, and discussions with unread posts since my last visit are highlighted.  This approach makes it extremely easy to zero in on the topics of interest, and not be distracted by all the other posts.  I understand that configuring this forum in the same way may not be possible.  However, when someone made the decision to initiate a Fing Community Forum, surely there must have been evaluation of various forum software platforms.  Unfortunately, the platform that was chosen has some serious shortcomings.  I mean no disrespect, but I must be honest.
    Fingbox owner from the beginning
    VioletChepil
  • VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Violet, while I commend your efforts to make posts more accessible, it seems like you are constrained by the platform (software) used for the Community.  On other large forums that I frequent, I am able to subscribe to specific discussions.  When I log in, only the subscribed discussions are presented to me, and discussions with unread posts since my last visit are highlighted.  This approach makes it extremely easy to zero in on the topics of interest, and not be distracted by all the other posts.  I understand that configuring this forum in the same way may not be possible.  However, when someone made the decision to initiate a Fing Community Forum, surely there must have been evaluation of various forum software platforms.  Unfortunately, the platform that was chosen has some serious shortcomings.  I mean no disrespect, but I must be honest.
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to highlight this thread to the platform provider and see what they propose to streamline discussions for those subscribed to specific threads and see what we can come up with! I do (definitely) appreciate the honest feedback as it can only help us improve for the future! 

Community Manager at Fing