4G Smartphone: Is this the best bang for the buck?

GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in Deals
The Umidigi F1 is available on Amazon Prime UK - so no delivery import fees - at just £159.99 and often under £140 with a Lightening Deal. Today (14th Aug) there's a £15 off voucher available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UMIDIGI-F1-Unlocked-Android-Smartphone/dp/B07M728DCF

This is for a stock Android 9 (like the Google Pixel range - no superfluous apps and UI tweaks) with a 6.3 inch Full HD+ with tear drop cut out for 91.5% screen to body ratio; classy looking full metal body; Mediatek high-end "AI Processor" 8-core Helio P60 CPU coupled with an OK 4GB RAM and massive 128GB storage. It also has a massive 5150mha+ battery with 18W fast charging and, unusual for anything lower than high-end NFC for Google Pay.

So, what's the downside? I've never owned an Umidigi but I have a lots of Chinese brands and it seems - based and the few poorer reviews - that unlike Xiaomi and Huawei, say, the reliability of this handset is not all that. So, as well as some bugs in the early firmware, which may have been ironed out, there could be some hardware faults impacting a few customers and not the greatest level of customer service it seems.

But for as little as £136, it might be worth the risk?

If you've had any experience with Umidigi brand handsets please let us know.  
Head of Product at Fing
VioletChepilkltaylor

Comments

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe it's the Umidigi A5 Pro - under £85 on Geabest right now 
    https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009985943819.html?wid=1349303

Head of Product at Fing
    VioletChepil
  • GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    ✭✭✭
    Umidigi F1 dropped to just £127.99 today. Recent reviews seem better - maybe firware updates have fixed big issues
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/UMIDIGI-F1-Unlocked-Android-Smartphone/dp/B07MFD4MNL/
    Head of Product at Fing
  • HronosHronos Beta Tester Posts: 288
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have had an Ulefone T1 and it was pretty good, aside a little problem with GPS sensor, I believe than Chinese manufacturer are going up in quality too (once their were just chip, now they are affordable and good quality)
    Keep looking up!
  • HronosHronos Beta Tester Posts: 288
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like a Chinese youtuber said recently: "Chinese can make chip and poor quality stuff, but also can do good quality and affordable ones"
    They are now been known as a good option for this.
    Keep looking up!
  • kltaylorkltaylor Moderator, Beta Tester Posts: 1,191
    1000 Comments 500 Likes 50 Answers 100 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no experience with this brand, although I do try to stay away from brands that I do not recognize.  I would invest in an unlocked phone with a brand that, to some degree of consideration, stands behind their devices.  I tend to rely on the adage 'Let The Buyer Beware' ... look at reviews and features before you make a decision based on impulse.
    "There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy."
    -Warden Anastasia Luccio, Captain