Multiple ISP's - Can Fing see them both?

RadiocookeRadiocooke Member Posts: 6
Founder First Comment Photogenic
✭✭
I have 2 ISPs for fail-over. Fing sees my primary (FIOS) no problem, but if I fail-over when FIOS is down, or switch manually to my second (Comcast) Fing still thinks I'm on FIOS. I recognize this is probably not a typical setup and maybe just not something Fing can identify, but has anyone else seen this before?

Best Answer

• VioletChepilVioletChepil London, UKMember Posts: 2,471
    100 Answers 500 Likes 1000 Comments 100 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @FarmerJim as per the above:
    You will not see the second ISP name for reason as Fingbox will show the same SSID name for the ISP which was on during activation.
    If you have a second ISP that could mean you have another router, which would be creating a separate network gateway which Fingbox cannot monitor.
    Depending on which ISP you want to monitor, you'd need to deactivate the box and reactivate - should you want to monitor the other ISP which was not used during the set-up. 
    Let me know any other way I can help. 

Community Manager at Fing

Answers

• GidsterGidster London, UKMember Posts: 224
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭
    Hi @Radiocooke, I'm moving this to Fingbox; which I'm assuming is what the question is about?
    Head of Product at Fing
  • RadiocookeRadiocooke Member Posts: 6
    ✭✭
    Yes, thanks sorry. still getting familiar with the navigation.
    Gidster
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Radiocooke I've looked into this one a bit more. 
    You will not see the second ISP name for reason as Fingbox will show the same SSID name for the ISP which was on during activation.
    Can I confirm that you have a second router or not?
    If you have a second ISP that could mean you have another router, which would be creating a separate network gateway which Fingbox cannot monitor.
    Depending on which ISP you want to monitor, you'd need to deactivate the box and reactivate - should you want to monitor the other ISP which was not used during the set-up. 
    Let me know if all that is clear and whether you have any further questions on this!
    Cheers,
    Violet

• FarmerJimFarmerJim Member Posts: 4
    ✭✭
    I have 2 VDSL connections, one from BT and one from Sky. I load balance between the two using a Ubiquiti Edgerouter PoE and have a FingBox.  Any ideas on how I could could set this up so that Fing could report separately on my two ISPs?
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @FarmerJim everything should be answered in this thread here:
    https://community.fing.com/discussion/283/multiple-isps-can-fing-see-them-both
    I'm going to merge your thread with the above if that's alright so as to reduce the duplicate content! 
    If you need more help just tag me @VioletChepil on the thread

• RichCreedyRichCreedy Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    25 Likes 10 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    this is also similar to my question, about Multi wan, my router takes 2 vdsl broadbands from BT, one business and one domestic, and load balances.
  • BryceHBryceH Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I have the same issue. 
    My topography:
    • Fingbox connected to Wifi router
    • Wifi router connected to network load balancer
    • Load balancer connected to 2x ISPS via separate modems
    This is for both fail over and aggregation of bandwidth. I am look at adding a 3rd provider on 5G.
    This setup is transparent to gear plugged in either parallel to the Fingbox or by WiFi. 
    My gear reports the aggregated speed of around 93MBps - which is what the devices plugged in are getting.
    Fingbox reports the speed of single ISP (around 45 MBps) 
    I understand from above that on installation Fingbox somehow latched onto one ISP. But this is not the case for other devices
    Is there something in development for FingBox to more accurately report on the network?
  • RobinRobin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,044
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    BryceH said:
    Is there something in development for FingBox to more accurately report on the network?
    Thanks for your post. As of now, we are introducing new features and apps like Fing Desktop and your feedback is duly noted and I will pass on your suggestion to our developers for consideration. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!