How do you block an unwanted device from getting back on your Wi-Fi

I don't want a certain individual in my house having access to the internet. I can kick him off but he gets right back on every time. I want to block him but don't know how

Liliana

Best Answers

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 872
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers 25 Agrees
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019 Accepted Answer

What type of router do you have? You need to either block his device by MAC or only allow certain MAC addresses.

Or change the WiFi password.

On my gateway there also is the option for parental controls which allows blocking devices by MAC address by time/day or always.

• Robin
    Robin Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,614
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Everone, If you guys have a Fingbox then this article might be of help, if not then There a few things that are best practices for a secure network.  
    1.  On a large number of routers, the Admin user ID and password are the default and right on the bottom of the router.  
    2. Some Guest & primary networks share the same password.  

Every home grade router has these features. You can follow the below-mentioned steps for securing the network. 

1.  Change the admin password to something with 11 characters or more. 11 characters as a base make it hard for password crack utilities to break.  Having more than 16 is even better.   

2. Change the Guest network password or even turn it off when not in use.  

If you want you can disconnect any device from the router settings by his device MAC address. You can refer to the router's manual or contact ISP to know how to do it. 
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides("Helping Hand"). HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rooted

Answers