Can I create a Mesh network using multiple routers and modems?

Havequestions
Havequestions FloridaMember Posts: 14
Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment

I've been trying to read up on mesh routers. I'm not understanding some of the terminology that is used in setting up. From what I think I understand. Can u take say ur gateway which is first modem/router that's wired in from the outside of house and from the extra Ethernet ports on it run cable from there to say 2 more modem/routers and then loop back to each other using Ethernet cables Will that create a mesh network. I have extra routers that throughout the past couple years acumulated from old isps and through laziness on my part never returned but ended up in long run paying a lot for them. After a certain amount of time no matter if u return or not I still get charged the same fee so I kept them.

Best Answers

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 892
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 Accepted Answer

It wouldn't be a mesh but it could work, mesh uses a technique which allows seamless roaming between each node.

What you're describing is essentially extenders with wired backhaul vs wireless repeaters/extenders.

Havequestions
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #3 Accepted Answer

You need to disable the firewall on each additional gateway, have the wireless SSID and passwords be the same, and disable DHCP on all devices except the main router.

It would be the same reliability if you were using extenders connected by LAN.

Havequestions

Answers

• Havequestions
    edited December 26, 2019 #4

Would that be more reliable than an extender. And will there beother configuration that needs to be done through the router interface. And if so any tips on things I should door will it self configure. I have never seen this before but the router we have is wired straight through Ethernet coming from outside of house. There is no coax connection. Our service provider is Verizon/frontier

• Havequestions

@rooted ty very much

rooted
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Scooby
    Scooby Member Posts: 178
    25 Answers 100 Comments 25 Awesomes 25 Likes
    ✭✭✭
    Check your routers "connection types", or whatever option they may have listed.
    If they have "bridge mode", use that. Bridge mode should, automatically, disable the other options, like DHCP server and firewall. It should still allow you to enable the wireless network options, though, and let you use the same SSID and passwords.
    If they are "newer" routers, they may be able to be setup in "AP mode". In that case, the router can be setup wirelessly, as a wireless AP, and no ethernet cable needed.
    You may, also, want to specify (set static) IP Addresses for the other routers, so you can access them. For example, if your main router is setup as a DHCP server, and is using IP Addresses 192.168.1.50 thru 192.168.1.100, you can use IP Addresses 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.49 for your routers.
    When connecting as extenders, plug one end of an ethernet cable into one of the 4 LAN ports, on the back of the main router. Plug the other end of the cable into one of the 4 LAN ports on the back of the "extender" router. Do not plug it into the WAN port on the "extender" router.
    rootednoobi
  • Mirekmal
    Mirekmal Member, Beta Tester Posts: 68
    10 Comments 25 Likes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it might not be as easy as it sounds... 
    - Having router WAN side connected to another router on LAN side will create completely different network. You shopuld use different subnet to make it working properly, otherwise your WAN and LAN sides would be on the same subnet. Probably most of routers even would not allow for such configuration. On the other hand having different subnets on LAN side of additional routers would not allow for easy roaming between networks, invalidating idea of mesh...
    - As @Scooby described the proper way would be to disable WAN side (internet connection disabled) on satelite routers and connect LAN side of primary one with LAN side of satelite. DHCP has to be disabled on satelites. This will make satelite routers work as aditional LAN switches and AP. It will also keep the same subnet across entire network.
    - For home grade products I'd never, ever create additional connections between satelite routers! This will create connection loops in the network, that can only be handled by more advanced switches capable of handling Spanning Tree or Storm Control protocols. For uncapable network it will kill connectivity by excessive broadcast traffic going in loops across network.
    noobi
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A combination of comments by @Scooby and @Mirekmal would be the accepted answer.

I agree it's not a good idea, but that's not what they asked.

noobi