What can keep Fingbox from connecting to internet?

VABelle
VABelle Member Posts: 72
Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes Name Dropper
✭✭

Fingbox shows in device scan as being connected to the network but not to the internet (solid red top light). I’ve tried the usual rebooting network; checked security settings to make sure it’s on the Always Allow list. Tried the reset button on the Fingbox too. What else could it be?

DGP

Comments

• DGP
    DGP Member, Beta Tester Posts: 38
    10 Comments Name Dropper 5 Likes Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Hi VABelle, how did you connect the Fingbox to the network? Do you have MAC address reservation on or another (hidden) security option?
  • rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 892
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@VABelle Did you get the issue resolved? If so what was the issue?

• VABelle
    ✭✭
    Yes. I had been getting a message that the Fingbox was not connected to the main router when clearly it was but I did finally get it resolved by uninstalling the Fing app and resetting my modem/router back to factory. When I reinstalled the Fing app, I deleted all previous networks that were still listed. There was one unfamiliar network and whenever I tried to delete it, I could not. Ended up deleting it by using the desktop/website version of Fing on my MacBook. The only thing is that now the solid "actively protecting network" light is solid green instead of blue but I don't care because it took so much effort to get it going again, I'm not going to worry about what color it is.
  • VABelle
    ✭✭

One update: An unknown device joined my network this morning & was blocked but the top light did not change. The previous version of Fingbox used to have a blinking blue light notification. At least I got the email.

• DGP
    ✭✭
    A green LED?!? And blinking? Solid is the only green that is NOT in the overview below. Pulsing is possible and that means that the box is ready for installation.
    Do I understand correctly that you have already had a FingBox and installed it? It looks like your old FingBox has not yet been "forgotten" by the network. Do you still have it? Or is it defective? In any case, I'd like to see if you can possibly remove the old one. If possible reconnect the old one, (The old one has detected a network over which "he / she" reports, I think.

And then install the new one, because I think that somehow hasn't happened yet. At least it seems that way.

I asked earlier how you connected the FingBox. Wired or via WiFi? And what do you mean by ".. not connected to the main router ...". Do you have multiple router or a Mesh Network?

• VABelle
    ✭✭
    It is not possible to reconnect the old Fingbox. It is defective; the micro-USB connector piece fell out & into the Fingbox. You can hear it rattling around. I could find no way to have it repaired so I bought a new one. It does seem to be an upgraded model. I've already researched all of the light guides; that's why I posted here in case anyone else had a solid green light instead of the solid blue.
  • DGP
    ✭✭
    OMG I think I'm falling in love. You can hear it rattling around .......I had that when I had surgery and they had forgotten something in my shoulder, you could hear it rattling around. I liked it so much that I didn't want them to fix it ...😜🧐

Please give this a try VAbelle. What is described is about moving a FingBox. Removing from your current network is the same in my opinion. Reconnecting to a network is not possible because the thing to be deleted is rattling around.🥴👮🏼‍♀️😂

I copied it from an answer from VioletChepil she was Community Manager here. She describes it on the assumption that you use the app on your phone
    • Locate the network name in the middle of the top bar of the screen – click on the drop-down arrow next to this.
    • This will take you through to the My Networks screen which contains a list of all your networks.
    • Swipe left on the Network with the Fingbox on it and click on the Deactivate that appears. This will remove the network you have already configured, freeing up Fingbox to be assigned to a new network.
    • After you have deactivated the Fingbox, you will be able to connect the box to the new network you’d like it to be on.
    • Just connect it to the new network you’d like to monitor and complete the onboarding steps again!
    Can you do this from your app!? 

• VABelle
    ✭✭

I’m happy that you found my previous struggles joke worthy & and made you laugh. The problem had nothing to do with networks. It was a poorly made Fingbox where the micro usb connector piece fell off from the inside. It was past the date to return it to Amazon (but less than a year old) and my inquiry was whether it could be repaired. Not being able to get a clear answer from anyone, I ended up spending another $100 on a new one. It is designed differently with a reset button instead of using a paper clip pin-type reset. That in itself should prevent the problem I experienced from reoccurring.