SpeedTest mesauremements not correct

Fing vs UniFi.
Both WiFi and Desktop give similar results but don't have Desktop results handy atm.

Comments

• Pax0707
    Pax0707 Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    I've tried WLAN/LAN on 2 different locations, all point to Ljubljana server and none can go over 100/100.
    Any chance there's a cap on that server?
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 4,766
    250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Pax0707
    Can you please check if M-Lab speed test is the same from link below?
    https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

That is the partner we use for speed measurement, so if Fing desktop results are not in line with the ones reported by M-Lab, we definitely have to fix something.
    Also, you may find this article useful:https://community.fing.com/discussion/comment/10530#Comment_10530
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • Pax0707
    Mlab vs SpeedTest vs UI.com
    Repeated 3-4 times, all the results are within the margin of error.
    This location is 200/50.

Will test tonight from other location

• Pax0707

As you can see, your server shows a lot less.

• Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    Hi Everyone,

We have been in contact with our Speedtest partners, M-Labs recently. They confirmed that they have recently rolled out an upgraded of their infrastructure & migration of machines to a new platform. This is being done to improve the overall Speedtest performance going forward. By doing this, initially they have cut of the multi-stream download Speedtest that we rely on for our Speedtests. However, they have greatly improved the single stream download Speedtest (previously the single stream download could measure up to 250 Mbps, where now it can measure up to 500+ Mbps). With speeds above this, the measured speed reported will be lower than before, due to the single stream limits.

To note for Fingbox users: this will also affect Fingbox Speedtests. We have released a new firmware version for the Fingbox which will allow single stream download to work again, firmware version 1.14.13 and onwards. If you have not yet received the new release, please power-cycle the Fingbox, this will automatically update the firmware on the Fingbox.

M-Labs are working on re-introducing the mutli speed download speedtest, to include it again in the future. Currently, we have no time-frame on when this will be re-introduced. Unfortunately at this stage, there is no further steps we can take to expedite this process.

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    dgk42
  • Robin_from_Fing
    admin
    ThomasSt said:
    At the moment the speed test isn't working anymore.  Down- and upload shows 0.0
    Are you checking the speed test from Fing App or Fing Desktop? Can you check running the speed test on M-lab website and see if it is working? Also, Can you share the screenshot?
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
  • Pax0707
  • Pax0707
  • mikeln
    mikeln Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    I am getting the same wrong results, using M-Labs directly on their website, and/or using it in FingBox. Any single test comes in at 1/2 to 1/3 the download speed of speedtest.net. The latter has always been accurate. We are an ISP and were thinking of getting a ton of Fing boxes to distribute to many of our users for auto-speed testing, but we will now have to back off from that idea, we need accurate test results. Any chance you can partner with speedtest.net instead (or give a choice)? I know they have a pretty good API.
  • mcarpentier
    mcarpentier Member, Beta Tester Posts: 0
    Photogenic
    Hello Fing,
    I just got a mailing from you to tell me not to forget to check my internet speed and complain to my provider if it has dropped.
    Well, let me tell you, your speed test is wildly inaccurate. And always has been. On the web, in the app and now in the Fing MacOS App beta.
    I have a 240 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up connection, and you've never measured anything higher than 81 Mbps down. If I run a Speedtest.net test at the same time, it will measure close to 200 Mbps, as far as I'm concerned close enough to the true speed (because all these tests are inherently flawed - you're not testing only the last segment of the internet connection to your house from your cable or VDSL modem, but from your device on your home network to a server somewhere further on the internet).
    But in any case, please have a look at your speedtests before considering them a benchmark, because they're not. For the rest I'm really happy with my Fingbox!

Best regards --Mike Carpentier