Incorrectly identified gateway

Rob_G
Rob_G Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
I tried the search function but it seems to be broken so I appologize if this is a repeat question.  

My USG Security Gateway for some reason is seen as a "Google - Google Home Mini".  I realize it doesn't really affect anything but it is annoying me, is there some way to correct it?  

Answers

• rooted
    rooted Gulf Coast, USModerator Posts: 892
    250 Likes 500 Comments 50 Answers Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Click that second line that says USG Security Gateway and put whatever you want it to be called.

• Rob_G
    Rob_G Member, Beta Tester Posts: 10
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment

That is what I named it. My question was how to fix the incorrect identification as a Google Home Mini made by Google (in the Vendor field). I have tried deleting and re-scanning but it identifies it as a Home Mini again.

• rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't, perhaps email support also with the exact model of the device and the MAC so it may be updated to be correct.

The detection isn't perfect, Fing misidentifies a couple of my devices also.

• Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,148
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    Hi @Rob_G

The Fing app discovery will identify devices on a best effort basis, based on the information made available by the device, e.g. the MAC address. There are numerous reasons why the device might not be recognized correctly e.g. 

- The DHCP server is not refreshing when speaking to your Fingbox. 

- Limited information being offered by specific devices. 

As of now, there is no way to edit the vendor manually. I would advise inserting as many details that you can about the device to help improve the engine for all Fing users. This will assist with improved device identification in the future. 

Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
  • rooted
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say "I would advise inserting as many details that you can about the device to help improve the engine for all Fing users.", do you mean that the information we enter into the description of each device is shared into a pool and future information based on MAC address is extrapolated from this data?

Robin_from_Fing
  • Robin_from_Fing
    Robin_from_Fing Administrator, Fing Team Posts: 5,148
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Likes 100 Awesomes
    admin
    rooted said:

When you say "I would advise inserting as many details that you can about the device to help improve the engine for all Fing users.", do you mean that the information we enter into the description of each device is shared into a pool and future information based on MAC address is extrapolated from this data?

Yes, Fill up the details in description for that device and let Fing learn more about that device.
    Robin (Admin at Fing)
    Getting Started? Please refer to Community guidelines & Community User Guides. HAPPY POSTING!!!
    rooted